INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excessive noise and sound distortion  (Read 1679 times)

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Excessive noise and sound distortion
« on: February 12, 2003, 07:01:53 am »

Each and every time I open MC and start playing an MP3 track or an Audio CD, I get noise and sound distortions.  The bad sound will clear up only after I stop playing the selection and began play again of the same  or any other selection.  This has been a problem for me for many previous builds and is not unique to MC 9.0.10.  My sound card is a Creative SB Extigy and I only have this sound problem when using MC.

I have seen other post on this subject but I never have seen a reply to this specific problem.  If anyone has an answer, I would appreciate hearing it.  Thank you very much.  Joe Karnes

Media Center Registered 9.0.110 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium II 461 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 200 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HP       CD-Writer+ 9700k   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Excessive noise and sound distortion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 07:05:55 am »

Try a google search for creative sound problems.

Take a look at the thread on a similar problem here in the last few days that ended up being related to the via chipset.  Search here for via chipset latency.

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 08:54:21 am »

Jim H., thank you for your quick response, I searched here and found your Feb 10th, post for a link to goggle creative sound problems.  

I followed the link but I had my privacy setting so low that my homepage  was changed and now I am getting so many advertising pop ups I think I need to delete all cookies and start over with my setting at medium.  I will try again later.  Thank you again, Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 09:55:19 pm »

Jim H. I think I have fixed my sound problems by installing updated drivers and firmware from Creative.  I am enjoying using MC 9 and I  thank you very much for your help.  Joe Karnes

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 04:10:51 am »

That's good to hear, Joe.  Thanks for reporting back.  It may help someone else.

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 12:46:51 pm »

Hi JimH,

I realize that recently, MC performance is linked to the sound card. I have the exact same problem as Joe.  However, I did download the latest Creative drivers 2 weeks ago for my Extigy, but it did not really help.

I then purchased a new sound card, Terratec DMX Fire 6.1 and found that it has the same problem.  I then checked the website and found a new product Terratec Aureon 7.1 with 24bit/192k sampling.

I upgraded the card to Aureon 7.1 and I found that it works perfectly, and also with better sound reproduction.

I'm not sure if our MC ouptut could be related to our choice bit rates and sampling, since MC now gives us the flexibility to choose it. Also, the buffering does not seem to work well.  I tried increasing buffer to remove noise and hiccups, but it does not appear to work consistently- which means it is not propotional to increasing buffer time.

My recommendation is:

a) For System Information, should include the sound driver and manufacturer if possible, so that you can support us better with the information
b) Provide more details on the choice of configuring MC's playback options like bitrate, sampling, and output type.  Please also provide information on how performance can improve or be affected with these choices.
c) The buffering time does not seem to solve hiccups?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 01:36:37 pm »

Try searching for Via Chipset latency on google.  It may be related.
Pages: [1]   Go Up