INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oled tv not hdr certified windows setting  (Read 385 times)

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
oled tv not hdr certified windows setting
« on: December 16, 2023, 05:51:32 am »

In windows setting it says my oled tv is not hdr certified in advanced screen settings. why? and does it matter matter what windows says?

larryrup

• World Citizen
Re: oled tv not hdr cetitified windows setting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 10:14:33 am »

Yes it matters if your attempting to play an HDR file on a player installed on that Windows operating system.  It would not matter if you are using an external player installed on a streaming device like a Shield, where you would just be passing the file out to it.

I had a similar issue where I thought for certain I met all the conditions for HDR and windows.  My CPU's built in graphics supported it, all my cables did, and certainly my OLED did. After much research did I find my motherboard, which supported the CPU, which supported HDR, came with HDMI port below HDR standard.  Since that port was the only way to send graphics out to a display, Windows would not allow HDR configuration.  I thought I was really careful putting the machine together.   Not careful enough.  I was Pissed at the motherboard manufacturer for supporting a CPU that included HDR graphics, than supplying a HDMI below that standard.

Keep looking for culprit.  It's hiding somewhere.

Larry

My solution was buying an on board graphics card.   
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Drybonz

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: oled tv not hdr certified windows setting
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 11:23:33 am »

I haven't been able to get it to say "certified" on any of the hardware configurations I have ever tried.  It always says not certified.  When I searched around about it, it seems more people than not are in that same situation, and it also doesn't seem to really matter.  It gives you something to obsess about, but really doesn't affect your ability to watch video the way you want to.  I could be wrong, but I stopped worrying about it.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 05:49:55 am »

Ok I got a lg oled B1 which is hdr. hdmi cabel is Supra hdmi 2.1 hdr. My gpu is msi rtx 3050 ventus 8 gb. And my mainboard is asrock which does not matter in this reguard. my cpu is intel i5 12600kf.  So everything looks to be good. I have had it like this always and I can play hdr movies with no problem, but this is very strange.

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 03:36:13 pm »

The Windows HDR display certification is entirely dependent on the display having been tested according to the VESA certification. TV display manufacturers don't submit TVs for certification, only PC display manufacturers do.

Windows checks for a GUID key in the registry entry for that display, which is written there when installing the display drivers (it's in the .inf file) and if it finds it, it shows that logo.

This doesn't mean you can't view HDR content on a TV though.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 03:56:20 pm »

See two snip attachments.  As far as I know, under advanced display, this is what I think you are referring to, and I agree, it doesn't matter.  The second screenshot is where you would turn HDR on, and if you can't (windows greys it out), I believe you will not get HDR on your TV/monitor if you are playing within windows.  If I got this wrong, please tell me.  I'd like to understand this, as lord knows I've spent enough time trying to. :)

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 04:42:40 pm »

Bogdnanbz, Ok I did not know that. So then this will be so on most tvs connected to windows desktops. No it is not grayed out. I can turn on hdr in windows, but prefer not to.
Larryup, yes that is the case! But it is not grayed out so all good! I just wondered if that meant something, but now I know it is just a file(certification confirmation file) that TV producers dont care about, it seems. Thanks a lot for the input. And I wish You all a Joyful high season :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up