INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyse Audio  (Read 693 times)

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
Analyse Audio
« on: December 16, 2023, 05:49:06 pm »

There are myriad posts relating to this topic but nothing seems to cover my following 2 questions. Any help appreciated:

In the past I have never analysed audio when importing so my extensive library is largely un-analysed. I have now decided to analyse all audio and a) set up auto-import to automatically analyse & b) use the Smartlist "Needs Audio Analysis" to progressively go through the files in the library that are not analysed at my own pace.

However, when I manually run auto-import with or without NEW files, it starts to analyse all un-analysed files in my library. It does not seem to do this analysis when auto-import runs in the background (without a manual start). Is this by design? I would like just to analyse any newly imported files and use the Smartlist to manage the rest.

In my Smartlist I have a few files that are only a few seconds long and these are analysed but remain in the Smartlist. I also have another track about 3 mins long that is also analysed but remains as well. Any ideas on why these remain?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Analyse Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 05:54:53 pm »

You could run it overnight.

A very short file might not work.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 12:31:15 am »

I worked out why the 3 minute track is not being treated as analysed: it seems to be analysed as zero BPM and the Smartlist has that as part of the algorithm.

I want to manually manage the analysis because I don't want to have to back up my whole music file system in one go. That would take a couple of days. I back up every day after changes.

So I've turned off the auto analysis.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:56:41 pm »

Hmmm, so I tried to amend the expression to remove the BPM check:

from
[Media Type]=[audio] ([replay gain]==0 or [peak level]==0 or [BPM]=0 or [intensity]==0)

to
[Media Type]=[audio] ([replay gain]==0 or [peak level]==0 or [intensity]==0)

but this returns no items at all. even when i have any of these 'custom' expressions like [replay gain] by itself they return zero items

am I right in assuming that these custom items are actually not available until an initial check is run? basically just using BPM as the main identifier?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 04:06:09 am »

[replay gain], [peak level] and [intensity] don't seem to exist, so that expression won't return anything. The actual field names on v31 are [Peak Level (sample)], [Peak Level (R128)], [Volume Level (Replay Gain)] and [BPM]. I can't find any "intensity' field.

Zero is a valid value. Files that are not analyzed have empty field values, not zero, so the expression would need to be:
[Media Type]=[audio] [BPM]=[]

The default smartlist "Needs Audio Analysis" uses another expression with a function:
[Media Type]=[audio] [=isequal(AudioAnalysisState(), Needed, 1)]=1

Not sure where you got your expression from.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 09:31:37 pm »

[replay gain], [peak level] and [intensity] don't seem to exist, so that expression won't return anything. The actual field names on v31 are [Peak Level (sample)], [Peak Level (R128)], [Volume Level (Replay Gain)] and [BPM]. I can't find any "intensity' field.

Zero is a valid value. Files that are not analyzed have empty field values, not zero, so the expression would need to be:
[Media Type]=[audio] [BPM]=[]

The default smartlist "Needs Audio Analysis" uses another expression with a function:
[Media Type]=[audio] [=isequal(AudioAnalysisState(), Needed, 1)]=1

Not sure where you got your expression from.

i've never fiddled with any of these expressions before so just got it from copying the "Needs audio analysis" smartlist supplied. I'm assuming here that the one I'm editing with full name "Audio -- Task -- Needs audio analysis" is the correct one because I don't have any others in the list. In terms of BPM these short ones and weird ones are assigned a null value. so i've just been making these BPM = 1 and the dissappear.

attached is the smartlist edit

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 09:38:31 pm »

so i created a new needs audio analysis smartlist using the expression supplied and it comes up with a completely new list. these seem to have BPM and others but not the R128 fields filled in. so thanks for the info zybex.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 02:24:29 am »

Sounds like you have very old smartlists, possibly inherited from old MC versions. You can regenerate the default Smartlists collection in MC:
- rename the "smartlists" group to something else (or delete it if you're sure there's nothing there created by you)
- right-click on the "Playlists" node and select "Add Stock Smartlists"

This creates a new Smartlists group with all the default lists. You can then delete the old group.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 03:11:21 pm »

thanks again zybex! been using jriver for many, many years now and have only just started using smartlists. expressions etc
Pages: [1]   Go Up