INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automate Display of BluRay Menu (as opposed to global option)  (Read 780 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Automate Display of BluRay Menu (as opposed to global option)
« on: December 17, 2023, 09:20:53 am »

Display of a bluray's menu can be set globally via options, for yes/no/prompt.  All good, but some of my MakeMKV full backups, mostly pure audio bluray, just refuse to start via the menu.  There are also a couple exactly opposite in refusing to start without menu option. 

Is there way to automate whether or not I want the menu to display (and if not configured the fallback would be to the global options setting)?

Perhaps this is a new 32 feature request?

Thanks.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Automate Display of BluRay Menu (as opposed to global option)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 07:33:31 am »

For some full backups, I have same problem: generally most menu playback backups work fine, but some of my bluray audio (same as your experience) do not as well as the occasional movie.  Then there are times I just want to go right to the main feature.  I generally pick away at these things when I watch the title - it's maybe 2-5 mins of setup and once done, it's done:

I create a particle to the main title (mpls) I want to start.  This does not require additional disk space, supports seamless branching, works when streaming to JRemote (iOS - can't speak for Android version).  I just tag it appropriately in a special field I added, e.g. "[Title] (No Menu)" to distinguish from the full backup.

-

I've a similar view I created to show just those (no Menu) titles as well. 

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 08:33:56 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, and I might just try this,  but IMHO it would really be nice if a different option was available that avoided use of particles. I think there are many threads discussing pros / cons of this feature, and I've hit the cons each time I've tried to use them. 
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 09:30:38 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, and I might just try this,  but IMHO it would really be nice if a different option was available that avoided use of particles. I think there are many threads discussing pros / cons of this feature, and I've hit the cons each time I've tried to use them.

what cons?  I've used them for years with few if any issues of note.  however everyone's needs can be different - maybe I can help...

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 10:29:22 am »

Off top of head (It's been a long time so it's hard to remember all issues I encountered) ...
But two main things that I ran up against:
Rename/move/copy didn't work with them.   Not that I do this very often, but when I did need it, this was problematic.
On creation I encountered bad paths, where some of the particles worked and others had file not found.  This was very frustrating.

Obviously particles work for some people, but I always seemed to end spending more time fixing stuff than it was worth to me.  For many of my videos, splitting via mkv ended up making more sense and worked better.

Back to the subject of these BDMV menus, I really think an option to display the menu on video by video would be a nice to have option. 

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 08:34:17 am »

I don't use rename/move/copy much at all so am not certain I've had any issues with it.

The creation/bad paths I've never had an issue despite what I've read.  Have probably close to a thousand particles created for full disc rips of TV shows that all worked fine.  However, as with many things PC/Windows based, experiences from one install to the next can vary wildly. 

In any case, sounds like you know how to use particles.

I think your suggested option is actually a good one!

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 09:23:20 am »

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, the bad paths were a real mystery that drove me crazy.  So, I'd create a bunch of particles and some (I'd like to say most but I don't remember) would work, and then all of a sudden I'd realize a bunch of were broken.  I think the rename/move/copy is just a limitation that's been around forever.

Anyway, I plan to try your "particle" suggestion but just haven't gotten around to it.  For my limited set of disks with this issue it might be the ticket.

But, I really would like the ability to individually configure the menu.  Even on disks that work as expected, there are some for which I like to see the menu and others I want to go straight to playback.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 01:55:14 pm »

There is actually a per file option if a file should play title or menu, but you can only set it by playing it and selecting the mode - there is no way to override it externally.

We could probably add that reasonably easily into the context menu
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 08:38:23 am »

There is actually a per file option if a file should play title or menu, but you can only set it by playing it and selecting the mode - there is no way to override it externally.

We could probably add that reasonably easily into the context menu

Are you proposing you select option on context menu and option is persisted for each video?  I think that would be very nice.  Any chance this would be tied to a database field or you have something else in mind?

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 08:40:34 am »

Bump...
Any chance of this happening?  If not, I'll just forget about it, but if possible I'll move it over to the 32 thread.

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 09:45:03 am »

I'll have a look at exposing this option in a more easy to use manner for MC32 in the coming weeks.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 10:46:02 am »

Thanks very much.  It's appreciated!
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:39 am »

A tag would be great for this.

Separately, I am curious why it's mostly Bluray audio rips where this is a problem.  Usually their menu's are quite simple - like DVD menus of old, yet I have more menu playback issues with those titles vs movies...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 11:01:44 am »

It's already part of a tag in Playback Info, realistically I don't really want to make a separate tag for every Playback control flag we have. But we could offer an expression function to interact with that field better.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 03:23:13 pm »

understood, and that would work for me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up