INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another take on Box Sets and Discs for Theatre View  (Read 441 times)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Another take on Box Sets and Discs for Theatre View
« on: December 20, 2023, 05:15:59 am »

MC is very flexible ... and what it does not offer out of the box, one can find creative ways to get what one wants

So here is my take on Box Sets and Discs (i have not touch my settings in years ... but recently was trying to peddle concept of having ability to define cover arts and nested cover arts for MC32 ... and while exploring what it could offer, stumbled upon this)

First ... BoxSets and albums with multiple Discs - sounds the same ... aka you buy single package and there are more than one CD in that package.

For me, the distinction are following:
> albums with multiple Discs - usually compilation albums like Greatest Hits where multiple discs are there because tracks could not be fit on single CD. Its interesting to group tracks by discs, because often one has preference to particular disc ... and so groping by disc allows one to select a disc and just play it.

> BoxSets - usually reissue of all albums in single package. So each disc is actually an album. Or artist took care in creating each disc - and even assign names to disc (instead of just Disc 1 and Disc 2). One can consider each disc as an album, where one can even assign distinct album tags to each disc.

MULTIPLE DISCS
One can easily set up view in Theatre View to display [Album]->[Disc #]->[Tracks]. But then getting to disc menu - you get album cover art for each disc (3 discs - you get 3 same pictures of album cover art) ... how boring.

To make it pretty ... one can use Series/Seasons cover arts to get what one wants ... one can easily copy value of tag [Disc #] to [Season]. One can easily copy album key to tag [Season]. (key uniquely identifies each album ... for most users it will be AlbumKey()  ... for me that never works, especially for "Greatest Hits" by various artists ... so personally, my Album tag are unique ... combination of album name + catalogue#/barcode ... and i have separate tag "Album Title").

Then in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 31\Cover Art\Seasons ... create images of your discs ... name them
"[whatever is in your Series tag that identifies album uniquely] - Season [disc #]"
 you only need to do this for albums with multiple discs ... as MC has feature that skip displaying group if it only has one item (a feature I will exploit for displaying BoxSets)

Then in TheatreView options just add Season to group by ... done

BOX SETS
First define each disc in Box Set as separate Album ... then for those albums put in Series the name of the Box Set.

Defne view for TheareView [Series]->[Albums]->[Seasons] ... thats it

Well not quite ... if you put images of BoxSets in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 31\Cover Art\Series ... this view will display BoxSet covers ... BUT and thats a BIG BUT ... Series view only accepts rectangular images (ratio of about 1000x1500), if ratio is incorrect then the view pads images with bars ... ugly as you can see in attached picture (not just for Box Set images but for all albums' cover which are usually square)

Can do this ... [put series in Expression]->[Album]->[Season] ... you wont get BoxSet/Series cover art, instead you get stack images of Albums that belongs to Box Set ... which in my opinion not bad, and way better that padded view of  Series + you can customize text under cover art in this mode

Hopefully, JRiver can remove the padding on Series view, which will make repurposing of Series view much better

Selecting box set will take you to view that display "albums" belonging to that Box Set. Selecting normal albums in Series View skips Album View (here is the exploit i was talking about) and goes to Season/Disc view (if album has multiple disc - not the same as boxset) or goes to track listing if album have just one disc (here is the second time using he exploit)

Thats it folks ... hopefully this helped at least one person ... so that i did not waste my time typing this lol
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Another take on Box Sets and Discs for Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 08:41:26 am »

Please look at Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Standardize aspect ratios.

That selection is what makes the thumbnails 2x3 for movies.  With that off they should be any size.

You'll need to rebuild the thumbs after a change.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 09:06:28 am »

Please look at Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Standardize aspect ratios.

That selection is what makes the thumbnails 2x3 for movies.  With that off they should be any size.

You'll need to rebuild the thumbs after a change.

Thanks.

I dont even recall how many years I've been using MC, and yet there is always something I dont know lol.

Thanks, Matt, it worked like a charm

Now, its time to replace my TV Shows posters with banners :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 09:39:17 pm »

Just short video on result

https://youtu.be/YGD2OwSOnDY

Edit: at the end of the video ... I showed grouping of same album but different issue ... the latest reissue/remaster has way lower dynamic range ... god darn loudness war :/

rec head

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 06:50:29 am »

I ripped two multi disc CDs yesterday and renamed both discs to only reflect the album name. As I did it I thought about the gasps I would get online for not caring.

I'm glad people keep working on all these solutions though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up