INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-import folder watching doesn't work  (Read 469 times)

trotskytown

Auto-import folder watching doesn't work
« on: December 26, 2023, 05:56:19 pm »

When I drag a new folder of music into my primary music library folder (a folder which is set up to be auto-watched), JRiver does not automatically import the new files. Foobar2000, watching the same location, picks up the new files instantly. This functionality used to work... I think the last version I tried was JRiver 29? Not working in 31. Yes, the watched location is a regular local folder on an NTFS boot drive- no weird stuff going on there.

If I go to Tools > Import and manually run Auto Import, the new stuff appears. But because this is a watched folder, it should do that... automatically.

Again, I had a JRiver installation several years ago and this worked totally fine then. Can't find anything wrong with my config.

I am using 31.0.84 on Windows 10 x64. No antivirus.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto-import folder watching doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 11:03:41 pm »

If I go to Tools > Import and manually run Auto Import, the new stuff appears. But because this is a watched folder, it should do that... automatically.
Once you do the auto import manually for a single new folder, does the drag and drop work thereafter for subsequently dragged folders?  Or does MC's auto import continue to fail?

More troubleshooting:  Does auto import start working normally if you close MC and MC server (if running in Task Manager), reopen MC, and then drag and drop (instead of doing the manual import)?  Does a reboot fix it?

I occasionally see auto import fail to recognize the folder of a newly ripped CD until I do a manual import which "kick starts it" (as you describe).  I don't use drag and drop in this scenario; music files are on a local external USB SSD which has never failed.  Definitely annoying, but it has not happened often enough for me to nail down reproducible conditions and so far I have not done troubleshooting.

MC does check for valid directory whenever you set up the auto import option.  But if later the watched drive/folder is not detected by MC, then I find auto import silently fails.   Maybe auto import should do checks in the background at some interval. Then unobtrusively warn user (bottom info line? Non-blocking, dismissable popup?) if it does not see the designated watch folder(s) or is itself not running correctly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 01:03:06 am »

Some NAS drives don't report chanes, so MC uses a timer.  You can change this in MC settings.

Or maybe you don't have the right file types in the auto import settings.  Use the edit button to check them.

trotskytown

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 07:28:12 pm »

As I mentioned, it's not a NAS drive. It's the Music folder in my user folder.

A reboot appears to have fixed it... Now it picks up stuff after a few seconds when I drag it in. I guess that was the fix after all.

Btw, searching for "timer" in the Options dialog shows no settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up