INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11 [Solved]  (Read 482 times)

pfaulds

• Recent member
WDM driver blocked by Windows 11 [Solved]
« on: December 28, 2023, 01:35:01 pm »

Hi
I've been using the WDM driver as my default audio device for some months with MC v28, Windows 10 upgraded to Windows 11 22H2 64-bit.

Since the last Windows cumulative security update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/december-12-2023-kb5033375-os-builds-22621-2861-and-22631-2861-90f983aa-efb6-4caa-9cab-7e5cfa00ed36), the WDM consistently fails to start.

Here is error reported by Event Viewer:

Device ROOT\MEDIA\0000 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem9.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: jrvad_service
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

The status code 0xC00000E5 appears to be a security-related issue.  Most people encountering this error seem to have trouble because of virus software.  I'm just running Windows Security.

I have turned the driver on and off several times, running as administrator, no effect.
Deleted the device and reinstalled the driver as well.

At one point I restored W11 to the previous state before the latest updates and WDM worked.  But then MS helpfully updated my PC again and once again, it fails to start.

Also, I have uninstalled and re-installed MC 28 without success: the driver appears in sound devices, device manager reports as working properly, but fails to start.

Thanks for any help.
Phil

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 01:37:02 pm »

Disable WDM, reboot, re-enable WDM.

pfaulds

• Recent member
Re: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 02:08:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick response... however, I think it was my own stupidity that was the problem here.
I had left DSP studio in 5.1 output mode, but was running through a 2-channel DAC.
I ran a 2-channel file from MC and got the usual dialog box about not being able to start.  Duh.
Thanks again

pfaulds

• Recent member
Re: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11 - not solved
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 03:55:17 pm »

I spoke too soon.

Apple Music was running through MC WDM (default audio device) with convolution and xtc active.  Me happy.
Played a few files from MC directly then stopped, and when I switched back to Apple, no output.
Now the same 0xC00000E5 error occurs every time I restart MC (as admin or my account) or turn WDM off and on again as admin.

Very frustrating, and I'm sure it's Windows causing this, but I'm surprised that nobody else is experiencing this.

If I update, would that do anything or will it just try to reinstall the same driver again?
I guess I can try the demo version of v31... will try tomorrow if nobody has any better ideas.

Thanks
Phil

pfaulds

• Recent member
Re: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 10:45:05 am »

I don't know if anybody is reading this thread, but I found that uninstalling the VST plugins and renaming the VST plugin folder seems to have corrected the issue.  This has to be a Windows 'feature'... I had registered the folder as an exception in Windows Security, so I really don't know what the cause is, but WDM works fine.
It means I can't use cross-talk cancellation when streaming from Apple Music e.g. but convolution and PEQ work fine.
Cheers

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM driver blocked by Windows 11 [Solved]
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 10:50:22 am »

People read it :) No reply means that it's a weird issue no one else is experiencing, likely caused by something else in your system/config.
Thanks for the problem report and possible solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up