INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genre Thumbnails  (Read 828 times)

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
Genre Thumbnails
« on: January 11, 2024, 08:13:02 am »

Hi,

I'm still on MC30. I was wondering if there's more line's now for genre in the tagging list.
When I use my Library Server on the 65 inch 4K TV from my PC, I get very tiny thumbs. I can fix that but next time it's the same again.
Is there a solution for that in the newer versions?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upgrade questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 08:55:13 am »

View -> Size menu, try 200 or 250%.
Genre is still a single line for some reason.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Upgrade questions...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 02:41:08 am »

View -> Size menu, try 200 or 250%.

Thanks for your help.

The view/size doesn't work for the thumbs. Just for the font size. Unless I do something wrong.
I have Windows 11 (by accident) on this mini PC and it's already in 300% (recommended). For what we do with it, that's just fine. However I get too many thumbs in a row, making them very small and it's hard to see from the couch.

If genre is still a single line, there's no reason for me to upgrade. It shouldn't be hard to get that one done.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Genre Thumbnails
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 03:00:52 am »

Theater View or Standard View?

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:23:49 am »

Theater View or Standard View?

Standard View

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 05:09:41 am »

For use on a TV, try Theater View.  You can also change the size there.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 09:45:09 am »

When I set my MC internal scaling set to 300% (from the View/Size menu) in standard view, the slider used to adjust the thumbnail size is completely pushed off the screen… at least for my setup which is a 4K 65 inch TV (see the MC 300% pic).  I also have my OS scale (Windows10) set to 200%.

I typically use MC internal scaling at 100%, and you can see in the attached MC 100% pic, there is a slider to adjust the thumbnail size at the far right of the tab bar.  So perhaps all that is required is finding the right combination for the OS & MC internal scaling to give you back access to the thumbnail slider? The slider will allow you to increase to the size to where a single thumbnail fills the entire screen, if that was something you desired.

Also note, if you hold down the shift and control key simultaneously, and then scroll your mouse wheel, that also increases/decreases thumbnail size.  And you can do that right now without having to adjust the Windows or MC internal scale factors.

Hope that helps.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 10:30:38 am »

The problem is that after adjusting and starting up again I have to re-adjust. It doesn't stick. On my main PC everything is great. It's only when I use the 65 inch TV in the living room on my mini PC and use MC as a Library Server.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 10:39:20 am »

This thumbnail scaling is not saved on the client side, only server side. The server setting is applied to the client without taking into consideration scaling differences between the server and client screens, resulting in a different size.

I've reported this issue before:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134827.msg935812.html#msg935812

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 12:38:54 pm »

I'm still on MC30. I was wondering if there's more line's now for genre in the tagging list.

Yes, only a single line, which I find acceptable, but unfortunately it is buggy:

In the Tree, Genre only displays a single entry (followed by ellipsis), even when a semicolon delimited list is entered into the field's text box, as can be seen in my first two attachments.  This certainly is a bug, especially since the whole list is displayed in a Panes view and other Content Panel lists.  It is somewhat mitigated if you hover the mouse over the tree entry, in which case a popup lists all entries.

A work-around is to define a custom field, [Genres] for example, (third attachment) which uses an expression to display the [Genre] entries as a list in the Tree.  Works OK in one direction, but things get out of sync if you change entries in [Genres].

As shown, [Style] does not have the same display issue (though I defined a list [Styles] anyway).  As expected, the line is filled as much as possible, and the ellipsis only appears when the Tree is too narrow to display the whole list on one line.

Win11 Pro 23H2 (64-bit)    MC 31.0.87

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 03:17:45 am »

I can add more than one genre when needed. But it's not what I like. There are so many movies that are e.g. comedy and action or science fiction and action. How difficult can it be to change that?

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 03:19:53 am »

This thumbnail scaling is not saved on the client side, only server side. The server setting is applied to the client without taking into consideration scaling differences between the server and client screens, resulting in a different size.

I've reported this issue before:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,134827.msg935812.html#msg935812

I have asked for that a long time ago too... But now that I got upgrade e-mails, I was wondering if it's worthwhile to do so.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2024, 10:18:42 am »

I can add more than one genre when needed. But it's not what I like. There are so many movies that are e.g. comedy and action or science fiction and action. How difficult can it be to change that?
I'm confused by this statement.

The built-in single field [Genre] handles multiple semicolon delimited entries for an album perfectly well, at least in any use case that I know of.  Each of these lines is a valid value for [Genre]:
comedy;action
or
science fiction;action

The issue I raise is that the Tree shows just the first entry followed by ellipsis (even when the Tree Pane is wide enough to accommodate more text):
comedy...
or
science fiction...

All the genre entries in the list appear when the mouse hovers over the Tree's genre value box, or when you LMB click into that box, as well as in Content Panel lists.

Is there a display bug here?  IMO: yes, since the display is inconsistent with how [style] and other semicolon delimited string fields appear in the Tree and in Content Panel lists.  In JRiver's opinion:  maybe or maybe not, TBD.

No need to create a custom genre field - I just presented that as an option.

What exactly do you mean by "change that"?  Do you mean that MC does not automatically populate a multiple-genre list for movies?

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 09:52:36 am »

I'm confused by this statement.

The built-in single field [Genre] handles multiple semicolon delimited entries for an album perfectly well, at least in any use case that I know of.  Each of these lines is a valid value for [Genre]:
comedy;action
or
science fiction;action

The issue I raise is that the Tree shows just the first entry followed by ellipsis (even when the Tree Pane is wide enough to accommodate more text):
comedy...
or
science fiction...

All the genre entries in the list appear when the mouse hovers over the Tree's genre value box, or when you LMB click into that box, as well as in Content Panel lists.

Is there a display bug here?  IMO: yes, since the display is inconsistent with how [style] and other semicolon delimited string fields appear in the Tree and in Content Panel lists.  In JRiver's opinion:  maybe or maybe not, TBD.

No need to create a custom genre field - I just presented that as an option.

What exactly do you mean by "change that"?  Do you mean that MC does not automatically populate a multiple-genre list for movies?

I mean show all the lines (up till 3 or 4) for genre. My "director" tag does show multiple lines, while there aren't that many movies that have more than one director. Just my two cents...

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 10:20:11 am »

Try switching to the Legacy Tag Window  as that one does show each genre in the list on a single line, but when you try to edit one it, just like the modern tag window, presents all the genres in a single line.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2024, 10:59:58 am »

The root cause is the Edit Type of the field. List fields with Edit Type = "List" show up as a multi-line item list, while Edit Type = "Standard" only shows a single line with an ellipsis after the first item.

Genre is defined with Standard edit type and cannot be changed by the user. This would need to be changed/fixed by a new release. This has been requested before.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2024, 11:27:42 am »

The root cause is the Edit Type of the field. List fields with Edit Type = "List" show up as a multi-line item list, while Edit Type = "Standard" only shows a single line with an ellipsis after the first item.

Genre is defined with Standard edit type and cannot be changed by the user. This would need to be changed/fixed by a new release. This has been requested before.

I guess that's not the hardest thing to do, and won't have consequences for other people.
I have asked for this before too.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2024, 12:08:54 pm »

Artist and Genre are both list fields with the standard edit type.  This is because we didn't want the list aspect as forefront when editing either field.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2024, 01:53:47 pm »

Artist and Genre are both list fields with the standard edit type.  This is because we didn't want the list aspect as forefront when editing either field.
Thanks for clarification.  I agree with avoiding the list aspect as forefront (I presume you are referring to the selection box dropdown).

Feature Request:
List Field with Standard Edit Type should fill the available space on a single line (in the text entry box) with list elements.
When Tree is too narrow to accommodate the full list on a single line, then display as many complete elements as fit along with a trailing ellipsis.

Justification:
This change would make better use of the available space, without engaging the list aspect as forefront.
In many cases (most likely the majority), there are only 1-2 or so relatively short elements in the list, so in these cases the whole list would typically show in a modest width Tree.  In the current behavior, the ellipsis is a distraction in most cases, instead of an exception.

Alternative: List Field with Standard Edit Type shows multiple lines as needed (up to some maximum) to display the entire list (as suggested by @4BYE), again without engaging a list dropdown box.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2024, 02:52:50 pm »

There's a data type and an edit type.  I'll tune the coming v32 and please provide feedback.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2024, 03:05:27 pm »

Another option is to make the "Edit Type" user-customizable on default fields, or at least on default List fields.*

* Use with caution. May cause side effects. All liabilities waived. Non refundable product. YMMV. Caveat emptor. Squirrel!
Pages: [1]   Go Up