INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Save Edited Tag Names to PC  (Read 423 times)

scottpyper

• Recent member
Auto Save Edited Tag Names to PC
« on: January 12, 2024, 08:34:02 pm »

Can I get help from someone?  If I edit a file name in MC, can I have MC automatically save that same name to my PC?  For example, I am editing some video names in MC and I would like that same name to be saved to the cooresponding video file (12342132432432.mp4) in my video folder on my PC.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

SP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto Save Edited Tag Names to PC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 11:57:52 pm »

Filename is one of the tags.

scottpyper

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 05:26:26 pm »

Thank you!  So is it necessary to edit three tags:  filename, name and display line name since editing one tag does not edit the others since I am changing the name in three different places.  In other words, is it possible to edit in one place and the other places are automatically updated?

scottpyper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 07:43:30 am »

Thank you for your brief initial answer to my first question. 

When I asked you or anyone if there was a way to enter a file name ONCE instead for 1) filename, 2) pathname, 3) Etc I got no answer from you or anyone.  Tell me how I word my question in your forum search engine as to whether I need to edit the tag 3 different places to rename a file on my PC or if I can enter it only once and all places are automatically updated?  I think this would be a great improvement if it doesn't already exist.  It's not so easy to ask the question and get the right answer on your Wiki.  This is the reason it would be helpful to have a PDF manual for your program.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 09:27:18 am »

It's not clear to me if you've tried it.

Here's the topic on tagging:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tagging

If you edit tags, there is one for filename and another with the full path.

If you experiment with it, I think you'll quickly be able to answer your own questions.

There are also Library Tools that may help, but you'll need to try them.  You could set up a test library for that purpose.

scottpyper

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 09:50:17 am »

I renamed the file in the tagging menu and was hoping all cooresponding columns would update automatically so that the renaming is complete on my pc as well.  Make sense?

The result is that "NO" the other fields were not automatically renamed as I had hope.  They continued to show the "XXXXXXX" original name when I went into File Explorer.

There you go...

scottpyper

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 09:52:59 am »

Bottom line, I was hoping to make the change in ONE PLACE and not multiple places in the Tagging Menu.  So much more work when I have about 100 files to update after bringing videos with names I need to change into my PC.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 01:43:42 am »

What you want is not possible. Forget filename and pathname for now...

Edit the name field for each of the 100 in MC as your heart desires.
Tip:
If you were to be naming the 100 files with a patern, for example, "MyName-001, MyName-002" etc. you could do all 100 files at once by selecting them all, and then, in the tag window, where "Name" shows "Varies", you would click to edit it and simply enter the following:
Code: [Select]
=MyName-padnumber(counter(),3)
Now that you have the Names as you want them, you can turn your attention to the filenames on disk. You select all 100 files, press F6, specify the rules in the left panel, observe the "Before/After" info in the right panel, and when you're happy, press OK to have all 100 files filed away and named on disk at once.

When you have performed these operations a few times, your confidence and trust in what you are doing will grow and you will realise that it really takes no time at all.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up