INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the directory where videos are installed w/o having to rebuild library  (Read 240 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen

I couldn't find the answer to my question so I thought I'd ask.

I have all of my movies currently in a directory named DVD.  I want to change the name of that directory to something more descriptive without having to start the library build process, tagging changes, cover art, etc., from scratch?  Is there a way to do that?

Thank you in advance!

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks!

I was hoping that MC would be able to use some Windows file management wizardry implementing a simple move command that would not need to replicate/copy the entire 5.6TB of data from one directory to another but maybe I set up the small test library and directory structure and selected copy vs move.
I see options such as Rename, Copy, Copy and Update.....,, Update data base.  And none of these seem to work without having to copy the entire directory from one to the other.

I am probably missing something but not sure what it is.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

It's this simple, assuming that the drive letter doesn't change...

Open the tag window.
Is the field [Filename (Path)] visible? If not, make it so.
Select all the files to be updated.

"Filename (Path)" may now show "Varies". Click it to open it for editing, and paste all of the following line in there:
=replace([this],DVD,enter your more descriptive name here)
and press enter.

MC will then change the folder name on disk and update its database at the same time. In my test here, all sidecars and image files were correctly moved too, and the now empty old folder was deleted.

Another thing to consider is, if both the old and new folders are in MC's auto import watch settings, and you rename the folder using explorer, MC should automatically pick up on the change and update itself accordingly. I have no idea how reliable this is though.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You can also simply rename the folder and use the "Replace" option in the Rename/Copy/Move Tool to replace C:\DVD with C:\Whatever (for instance).

To be safe, make a Library backup and disable AutoImport before you do that.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks Marko and Zybek for the handholding!  This worked like a charm.  Of course, thanks to Bryan C as well for the initial look into the wiki.
Pages: [1]   Go Up