INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Plex collections into Media Center  (Read 828 times)

mike_power01

• Recent member
Importing Plex collections into Media Center
« on: January 16, 2024, 03:16:09 pm »

Dear Media Center users,

I am using media Center to serve many video files I have via DLNA. However, relying on the DLNA renderer at the other end is very cumbersome as there is no search feature in the DLNA renderer. One way to improve this situation would be if I could capture the "collections" I already have in Plex and effectively import them as a playlist in JRiver which the renderer can display.  These Plex collections have a very logical much more manageable structure for me.  I have the export 3rd party tool which will convert Plex collections metadata to a .csv file however I don't believe Media Centre can process this metadata into a Media Center playlist file based on the collection. There is very limited commentary on this matter in the interact forum so I've posted a new topic.

Please note I am a basic home user and do not have any scripting or code writing skills nor the more technical side of media center.

Someone please help.

Many thanks Michael Power.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing Plex collections into Media Center
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:45:56 pm »

The display on the renderer is limited to the renderer's capabilities.  What is the renderer?

You can control playback on the renderer with a remote.  Please see Remotes on the wiki.

MC can import playlists.  I'm not sure about CSV.

MC can also tag on import.  Wiki again.  Start with Tagging.  You can, for example, assign tags according to your directory structure and names.

eve

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 12:37:56 am »

Dear Media Center users,

I am using media Center to serve many video files I have via DLNA. However, relying on the DLNA renderer at the other end is very cumbersome as there is no search feature in the DLNA renderer. One way to improve this situation would be if I could capture the "collections" I already have in Plex and effectively import them as a playlist in JRiver which the renderer can display.  These Plex collections have a very logical much more manageable structure for me.  I have the export 3rd party tool which will convert Plex collections metadata to a .csv file however I don't believe Media Centre can process this metadata into a Media Center playlist file based on the collection. There is very limited commentary on this matter in the interact forum so I've posted a new topic.

Please note I am a basic home user and do not have any scripting or code writing skills nor the more technical side of media center.

Someone please help.

Many thanks Michael Power.

What's in the CSV the tool you use to export plex collections creates? Does it have filenames? That's probably the most useful here.
How are your movies setup in JRiver, what metadata do they have? How does your plex library get it's metadata (if you have .nfos, this is WAY easier)?
Someone has probably whipped up a .csv to JRiver playlist tool.

mike_power01

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 11:41:09 pm »

Thank you to Eve and JimH for getting back to me.  I am so sorry for the extended delay in getting back to you.  It seems I was not receiving your replies via my personal email [have ticked box for this now] and find this forum difficult to navigate.  To answer your question Jim the renderer is a Sony 4k Bluray Player model number UBP-X700.
To answer your question Eve the CSV file does indeed contain filenames.  To bring the movies into JRiver I just imported the system directory holding the movie files. As far as I know I did not import any metadata as part of this process. I believe that is all held within Plex separately but don't know where it is. I did a search in the directory for .nfos and didn't get any results.
Actually, the biggest issue right now is the system keeps crashing shortly after loading so I can't work with it in any form.  I am posting it here as I can't find a relevant "board".  I really hope somebody can help with this.  Here attached is a log file I hope somebody can decipher. I will check this post daily now but if you have the time to notify me also at my personal email mike_power01@outlook.com that would be greatly appreciated. Regards, michael.

mike_power01

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 05:16:34 am »

Hi Forum,
I hope somebody who has the skills can review the log file attached to my last post and help identify the source of my system crashes which happen very quickly after starting the app in both my MC31 and MC32 windows installations.
Thanks,
Michael.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 08:04:25 am »

Antivirus

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 08:16:02 am »

Could you send this file to me (matt at jriver):
G:\Multimedia\Photos & Home Videos 08072022\Sentimental photos arranged for Stocklands August 2017 - December 2018\Cooper children TIF.TIF

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mike_power01

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 02:51:05 am »

Note matt, the file you want is too large for this chat so you will have to access it via the email I sent you earlier today.

Kind regards,
MICHAEL.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 08:28:50 am »

Thanks a lot for the file.  I can reproduce the crash and it will be fixed in a coming build.

To keep MC running, you could just rename the file with a .tmp extension until the fix is available.

Cheers :)

mike_power01

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 02:00:41 pm »

Hi again Matt,
I have done as you asked and unfotunately the system continues to crash. Here attached is the very latest log file. Really hope you can help with a lasting fix.  Regards, michael.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 07:16:47 am »

This is fixed here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138129.0.html

Thanks a lot for the help.

mike_power01

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 07:10:29 pm »

Matt, just a courtesy to let you know my JRiver is confirmed now as stable as the app has remained active overnight and for some 24hrs straight now.   Thank you so much for your support.  Regards, Michael.
Pages: [1]   Go Up