INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videos stopped playing recently  (Read 580 times)

JRFan

• Recent member
Videos stopped playing recently
« on: January 19, 2024, 12:12:50 pm »

When I try to play a video I get a message: Something went wrong with playback. Playback can not be started on the selected output. I don't understand this message since all my Audio can be played. Even all sample rates are working. DSP studio has all the proper conversions. My receiver natively plays 48 kHz. Video was playing back as recently as a month ago.

I'm at a loss as to what to try and am hoping someone has an idea to try to fix it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Videos stopped playing recently
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 12:20:14 pm »

Describe your setup a little.

Try rebooting first.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 12:31:52 pm »

This happens occasionally to me on one of my setups that is connected to a soundbar.  Usually powering down all the devices in the HDMI chain resolves it — the PC, soundbar, and TV in this case.  I think it may be a weird HDMI handshake issue that occurs when mixed content is played over a long period of time.  But honestly don’t know.

The other cause is that sometimes the Windows Sound configuration for reasons I can’t explain reverts to a different audio device (I use nVidia sound drivers when playing over HDMI).  Assuming Windows here, go into the Control Panel->Sound and see what audio device is configured for your HDMI connection (again, assuming you are playing video/audio both to HDMI).

Hard to help without more info…

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 12:36:09 pm »

Google EDID problems.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 12:56:49 pm »

Rebooted. No change.
I am running a Gigabyte brix as the server connected to an Anthem AVM 70 receiver though HDMI to a Panasonic 4k display.
The OS is Windows 11. The default sound device is the AVM 70. Supported formats include all the surround formats Dolby Digital.
I am running the latest version of J River.
Since my post I have tried the help.
In the video options I have Video mode is Red October standard. I toggled both the Hardware acceleration off and back on. The same for the VideoClock.
Under the Audio options I have turned bit streaming off.
I have tried various Audio Devices, the only one that played any video was Null Output. So the error message seems legit.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 01:02:14 pm »

I don't think it is a EDID problem since the video will play if the Audio device is Null Output.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 01:13:42 pm »

Just tried the Windows app "Films and TV". I was able to get sound and video for a video that won't work in J River.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 01:40:05 pm »

Try the other Red October settings.

Try toggling Hardware Acceleration.

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 02:12:17 pm »

Tried the 4 combinations of video mode and hardware acceleration. No luck. Is there some kind of debugging logs that may shed more light on the origin of the error?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 02:59:54 pm »

Have you enabled Bitstreaming?  If so, try turning it off.  If not, try turning it on.

Pretty certain no restarting Media Center is necessary, but do make sure you have stopped all playback vs. just paused it.

Also check Exclusive Mode on your selected audio device in Media Center.  Maybe try toggling that.

Check DSP settings - are you perhaps converting anything to another format that might not work?

--

Also - even thought your default device says AVM 70, I expect you are using your video card's sound drivers to access the AVM 70.  For me, it says "marantz AVR" and the next line says "nVidia High Definition Audio" as I use an nVidia video card.  Maybe poke around those settings

JRFan

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 03:46:20 pm »

Have you enabled Bitstreaming?  If so, try turning it off.  If not, try turning it on.

Tried already, didn't help

Pretty certain no restarting Media Center is necessary, but do make sure you have stopped all playback vs. just paused it.Yes

Yes

Also check Exclusive Mode on your selected audio device in Media Center.  Maybe try toggling that.

Tried that

Check DSP settings - are you perhaps converting anything to another format that might not work?

No conversions are applied.
--

Also - even thought your default device says AVM 70, I expect you are using your video card's sound drivers to access the AVM 70.  For me, it says "marantz AVR" and the next line says "nVidia High Definition Audio" as I use an nVidia video card.  Maybe poke around those settings

Yes it says Intel Display Audio. I am using the on board Audio. If you are wondering if the problem is at the sound card. In the Control panel I selected Sound. If you right click on the default device you will get an option to Test. A sound played through each speaker. I don't think it has anything to do with the Intel drivers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up