INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist problem  (Read 4337 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist problem
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2024, 05:15:19 pm »

Thinking more about that, JRemote communicates via MCWS, I think, and if I'm correct, that's not the same communication channel a theater view client would use... Am I still correct here?

If I am, I don't think there'll be any issues here if authentication is enabled.
The other issues are with true library clients that are merging changes back into the library via "delta" archive files, which wouldn't be the case with something like JRemote 😊

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2024, 11:57:57 pm »

I was very hopeful that disabling read-only authentication would fix this problem but it happened again today. I backed up in preparation for the new update, installed it, and then left my residence. While I was driving, I decided I would listen to some music but when I looked at JRemote I noticed that 75% of my playlists had been deleted.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2024, 12:52:31 am »

You have a very unusual problem.  Leave the drama out of the reporting and we'll try to help.  JRiver doesn't delete anything unless you tell it to.

Security software often does very unexpected things.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2024, 05:20:24 am »

I was very hopeful that disabling authentication would fix this problem but it happened again today. I backed up in preparation for the new update, installed it, and then left my residence. While I was driving, I decided I would listen to some music but when I looked at JRemote I noticed that 75% of my playlists had been deleted.

I think there's some misunderstanding? Disabling authentication will *for sure* cause all changes made in Clients/Remote to be LOST. The only way to keep them is to have Authentication enabled.
Even so, as Marko said above, it's better to do all playlist changes on the server directly.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2024, 08:07:21 am »

I think there's some misunderstanding? Disabling authentication will *for sure* cause all changes made in Clients/Remote to be LOST. The only way to keep them is to have Authentication enabled.
Even so, as Marko said above, it's better to do all playlist changes on the server directly.

I edited my reply. I meant to say “disabling read-only authentication”.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2024, 09:32:31 am »

JRiver doesn't delete anything unless you tell it to.

As I've already clarified with you and mentioned in multiple replies, I'm not telling JRiver to delete the playlists but JRiver is randomly deleting them on a frequent basis. That's the point of this post.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2024, 10:20:44 am »

Thinking more about that, JRemote communicates via MCWS, I think, and if I'm correct, that's not the same communication channel a theater view client would use... Am I still correct here?

If I am, I don't think there'll be any issues here if authentication is enabled.
The other issues are with true library clients that are merging changes back into the library via "delta" archive files, which wouldn't be the case with something like JRemote 😊
Correct.
JRemote only uses MCWS and MCC commands to talk to the MC server. It never loads the DB so it doesn't do deltas.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2024, 10:33:37 am »

I think it's unlikely too, but it may be triggered by some specific character that AudibleImagery may have in his filenames or fields. There were recent changes to the handling of composed/decomposed chars in macos.

Do you think this old post might have some solutions?:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99583.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2024, 11:07:31 am »

Do you think this old post might have some solutions?:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99583.0
I don't think so. The accented character issues only come into play with filenames stored on a non-apple filesystem. I can't see how they'd have anything to do with playlists.
If there were composed utf-8 issues, you can use the tool
Tools->Library Tools->Convert UTF-8 filenames
to fix them however this is normally done automatically when loading an old database (<MC30) on a current version.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2024, 11:37:42 am »

I don't think so. The accented character issues only come into play with filenames stored on a non-apple filesystem. I can't see how they'd have anything to do with playlists.
to fix them however this is normally done automatically when loading an old database (<MC30) on a current version.

Okay I guess I'll try to convert UTF8 filenames for good measure. I'm trying to go through and cleanup/remove some old playlists to see if reducing the number of playlists in my library might resolve this issue.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2024, 11:41:47 am »

Do I check or uncheck "Convert to precomposed UTF-8"?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2024, 12:31:26 pm »

Do I check or uncheck "Convert to precomposed UTF-8"?
Check it.
It won't affect anything other than entries that are still decomposed (if any).
Be sure to have a DB backup whenever you do something like this.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2024, 12:58:52 pm »

Check it.
It won't affect anything other than entries that are still decomposed (if any).
Be sure to have a DB backup whenever you do something like this.

I was reading in an old Interact post that this conversion should only be applied to the “Name” library field. Is that still true or is it okay to convert all library fields?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2024, 02:14:47 pm »

I was reading in an old Interact post that this conversion should only be applied to the “Name” library field. Is that still true or is it okay to convert all library fields?
The only fields that SHOULD contain those characters are the FILENAME and IMAGE FILE
If the original tags were copy/pasted or entered with a different program incorrectly the others MAY contain those characters.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2024, 02:46:34 pm »

The only fields that SHOULD contain those characters are the FILENAME and IMAGE FILE
If the original tags were copy/pasted or entered with a different program incorrectly the others MAY contain those characters.

Okay I’m going to convert all fields to precomposed UTF-8 just in case. Like you said, this probably isn’t going to fix the problem so what else should I do?

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2024, 12:55:38 pm »

It happened again, this time after backing up in MC 32 and restoring with a backup.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2024, 02:57:32 pm »

It happened again, this time after backing up in MC 32 and restoring with a backup.
Please try build 57 just posted.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2024, 02:35:11 pm »

Please try build 57 just posted.

Okay, I'll try it and report if I have any more issues. I don't know who to thank but thank you whoever you are!

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2024, 02:47:49 pm »

MC32 is deleting my playlists again. This time it will only let me restore all of my playlists using backup from 7/31 despite there being two other more recent backups

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2024, 03:00:36 pm »

MC32 is deleting my playlists again. This time it will only let me restore a backup from 7/31 despite there being two other more recent backups
What do you mean by "It will only let me"?
Please email a backup that won't restore to
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2024, 03:43:46 pm »

What do you mean by "It will only let me"?
Please email a backup that won't restore to
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks.

Hi Bob, I edited my last reply for clarity. It will only let me restore all of my playlists using a backup from 6 days ago even though there are two other more recent backups. I'll upload the stuff you asked for in a minute

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2024, 03:48:33 pm »

Hi Bob, I edited my last reply for clarity. It will only let me restore all of my playlists using a backup from 6 days ago even though there are two other more recent backups. I'll upload the stuff you asked for in a minute
Ok then please send me the last working backup and the first one after that.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2024, 03:56:45 pm »

Ok then please send me the last working backup and the first one after that.

Here are the two backups you requested as well as a copy of the playlistx.jmd file after the last playlist deletion:

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=VZ4hRx0ZAkNaA5dx6af0OgAxkUjl2jF0XxiX

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2024, 02:30:07 pm »

I can't even close JRMC32 without it deleting my playlists.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2024, 02:46:49 pm »

If you're making them on a client, they aren't saved.  Make them on the server.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2024, 03:25:24 pm »

If you're making them on a client, they aren't saved.  Make them on the server.

I don’t understand. All of my playlists were made in the JRMC32 application on my Mac. Are you saying that playlists made in the application aren’t saved?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2024, 03:30:14 pm »

I don’t understand. All of my playlists were made in the JRMC32 application on my Mac. Are you saying that playlists made in the application aren’t saved?
Jim is asking if you are making them on a client of a library server machine.
So is your Mac MC running as a library server client (connected to a different MC on a different machine)?

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2024, 03:33:54 pm »

Jim is asking if you are making them on a client of a library server machine.
So is your Mac MC running as a library server client (connected to a different MC on a different machine)?

No I don’t think my Mac MC isn’t running as a library server client. I only have Mac MC installed on my Mac and I occasionally connect to it from my iPhone or iPad with JRemote.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2024, 03:31:38 pm »

Bump

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2024, 06:52:30 pm »

I need help

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2024, 10:33:03 am »

So I see the following. Are these what's going away?
Do you have auto-import enabled?

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2024, 02:58:09 pm »

So I see the following. Are these what's going away?
Do you have auto-import enabled?

I don't have auto import enabled. When the playlists get deleted, it's usually a combination of folders and individual playlists that get deleted. They often get deleted when MC 32 crashes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2024, 03:12:20 pm »

I don't have auto import enabled. When the playlists get deleted, it's usually a combination of folders and individual playlists that get deleted. They often get deleted when MC 32 crashes.
Try restoring a backup if it happens.  Writing to disk may not be working reliably.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2024, 03:17:29 pm »

Try restoring a backup if it happens.  Writing to disk may not be working reliably.

Restoring the most recent backup won't restore the playlist if it happens. I end up restoring a backup from a few days prior to the most recent backup because the one from a few days prior usually has all of the playlists intact.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2024, 03:30:25 pm »

Is it ALWAYS when MC crashes? When is it crashing?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2024, 03:47:29 pm »

I suggest you try some very basic scenarios to try to reproduce it consistently:
- create just ONE playlist and then start/restart MC to see if it's still there. Make sure to also close the MC Server (not sure how that's done on a Mac)
- if still OK, then start adding files in groups to that same playlist, and periodically restart MC to check. It's possible one of the files added to a playlist may be causing the problem
- try different names for your single playlist, restarting MC in between to check. I see you have a playlist with a question mark on the name (should be fine), but try that one just for kicks: "-instru?"
- try other things you normally do, but keep restarting MC to check if that's the action that triggers the issue.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2024, 05:36:39 pm »

Is it ALWAYS when MC crashes? When is it crashing?

It seems that the playlists always get deleted when MC 32 crashes. I don’t know why or therefore when it crashes. The crashes always seem unexpected and unwarranted. It’s not because I’m overloading it. I’ve learned to not do that because that usually makes it crash.

It should be noted that sometimes playlists get deleted when it DOESN’T crash. It happened AGAIN today after I backed up and closed MC 32 and the server. Nothing crashed, it just deleted most of the playlists after I relaunched MC32. It cost me five days of work on my library this time…

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2024, 05:45:55 pm »

I suggest you try some very basic scenarios to try to reproduce it consistently:
- create just ONE playlist and then start/restart MC to see if it's still there. Make sure to also close the MC Server (not sure how that's done on a Mac)
- if still OK, then start adding files in groups to that same playlist, and periodically restart MC to check. It's possible one of the files added to a playlist may be causing the problem
- try different names for your single playlist, restarting MC in between to check. I see you have a playlist with a question mark on the name (should be fine), but try that one just for kicks: "-instru?"
- try other things you normally do, but keep restarting MC to check if that's the action that triggers the issue.

I’ll try your suggestions when I get home. I’m not positive about the cause but I think one of two things might be triggering the issue. Leaving JRemote open and connected on my iPad (which is mounted in my car) for days at a time or having too many backups. I’ve learned that if MC 32 crashes and deletes my playlists, it won’t save my playlists after I’ve restored an older backup and rebuilt the playlists unless I delete a few of the oldest backups.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2024, 08:07:11 pm »

This isn't normal.  Your hardware is probably not reliable.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2024, 08:16:42 pm »

This isn't normal.  Your hardware is probably not reliable.

I paid to have my hardware checked by a reputable computer store in my area after it was suggested in this thread and they found nothing wrong with my hardware so this is not a hardware issue but an MC 32 issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 07:10:15 am »

Nobody else is reporting this problem.  It's likely to be the drive or the network.

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 02:46:33 pm »

Nobody else is reporting this problem.  It's likely to be the drive or the network.

The drive has been ruled out so I don't know why you keep suggesting it as a possible reason.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up