INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost volume, can't figure out why [Solved]  (Read 260 times)

bvillebob

Lost volume, can't figure out why [Solved]
« on: January 22, 2024, 04:57:01 pm »

I've been using MC for several years now and have never had an issue.  Recently I upgraded my computer to a 16" Macbook Pro with the M1 chip, and I moved my MC 31 install to it.  It's a great computer and everything runs fine, except for losing QRange, my favorite equalizer which apparently isn't compatible.

The trouble I have is I've lost about 10 dB of volume.  I feed the output of the laptop to a JDS DAC, then to JDS headphone amp, the output of that feeds a 6 channel amp to a pair of LX Mini with two subs.  It sounds great, but no matter what I do I can't get the volume to where it used to be while keeping the Peak Level below 100 percent.  If I turn off the soft clipping and adjust the output to peaks to about 200 percent it's back where it should be, and honestly sounds perfect to me.  I can't detect any clipping, but then my ears are pretty poor having lost both eardrums in the past so I'm not sure about thee quality of what I'm hearing.

My old laptop, a Macbook Air, still has MC 28 on it and it's plenty loud with peak levels of 75 percent

I've turned on and off all the DSP options.  I normally use an EQ for room correction and "Effects" for a little stereo enhancement, they don't make any difference except for when I use the EQ to boost the peak levels above 100 per cent.

I've gone through all the MC settings I can think of, I've double checked the Macbook settings and I've just run out of ideas, so I thought I'd put this here and see if it rings a bell with anyone.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lost volume, can't figure out why
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 06:12:42 pm »

What audio device are you using in MC's settings?

bvillebob

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 11:20:26 pm »

I use the JDS Labs DAC option.  There aren't any volume settings associated with it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 01:03:00 am »

Click on the speaker icon in the upper left corner and try Internal Volume.

bvillebob

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 06:00:37 pm »

Thanks, that's what I'm using.  It just seems odd, so far as I know I haven't changed anything but going to a new computer, and of course from Intel to Apple M1 processor, the volume suddenly dropped way down and has resisted all attempts to get it back.  Might just be a symptom of the different hardware / software.  Fortunately I still have my Macbook Air for travel, and now I guess for when I want to listen to certain music that MUST be loud  :)

(SOLVED - KIND OF)

Finally saw there's a build of MC32 up so I downloaded it and that seems to have solved the issue I was having, volume is back where it used to be.  Thanks for the ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up