INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade crash - server mode lockup  (Read 658 times)

TP1964

• World Citizen
Upgrade crash - server mode lockup
« on: January 26, 2024, 09:54:35 am »

Two issues I’m having - I went to install the upgrade this morning (32.0.6 to 32.0.9) from within MC and it crashed (crashlog attached.)

Second issue - since I’ve upgraded to 32, running the “server only” mode - the program becomes non-responsive after some period of time. I haven’t determined the length of time yet, but it is at least several hours. The only way to recover is to “force quit” and restart. I’ll report back if I still experience the same in 32.0.9 - but I didn’t see anything that indicated a change there.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Upgrade crash - server mode lockup
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 11:55:09 am »

Two issues I’m having - I went to install the upgrade this morning (32.0.6 to 32.0.9) from within MC and it crashed (crashlog attached.)

Second issue - since I’ve upgraded to 32, running the “server only” mode - the program becomes non-responsive after some period of time. I haven’t determined the length of time yet, but it is at least several hours. The only way to recover is to “force quit” and restart. I’ll report back if I still experience the same in 32.0.9 - but I didn’t see anything that indicated a change there.
Are you playing or importing an APE format file?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 11:58:09 am »

Not at all. In fact, the times I’ve noticed it locked up on the server, it’s just idle.

I only know at all, because I go to click on the MC icon in the top bar and it doesn’t respond - and that’s when I have to do a force quit.

That said, I’ve had 32.0.9 installed since I sent you the first email (3 hours or so?) and so far, so good.

I’ll keep you posted.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 12:16:34 pm »

Not at all. In fact, the times I’ve noticed it locked up on the server, it’s just idle.

I only know at all, because I go to click on the MC icon in the top bar and it doesn’t respond - and that’s when I have to do a force quit.

That said, I’ve had 32.0.9 installed since I sent you the first email (3 hours or so?) and so far, so good.

I’ll keep you posted.
Ok and do you have any APE files in your library at all? (this is regarding the crash) Thanks.
Thanks

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 12:22:57 pm »

Ok and do you have any APE files in your library at all? (this is regarding the crash) Thanks.
Thanks

Yes - not a ton - but I do have some. Should I convert them to another format?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 12:25:48 pm »

Yes - not a ton - but I do have some. Should I convert them to another format?
Shouldn't have to. It's possible one is corrupted though. Maybe go to Audio->Files->APE and play them and see if it crashes on a specific one?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 12:27:13 pm »

Hmmmm - let me see how “valuable” they are to me - I may just delete them - there’s too many to go through and play them all in any reasonable amount of time. Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 12:56:16 pm »

Hmmmm - let me see how “valuable” they are to me - I may just delete them - there’s too many to go through and play them all in any reasonable amount of time. Thanks!
Converting them should work as well, maybe to flac??
If you get a crash on converting that would likely tell us which file was bad.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 08:56:34 am »

Converting them should work as well, maybe to flac??
If you get a crash on converting that would likely tell us which file was bad.

Just an update - 24 hours later and MC seems to be up and running since the update to 32.0.9 - not sure what was going on before, but it isn’t randomly locking up (so far anyway)

Also - I converted the 50 or so APE files I had to FLAC and none of them errored - so, again, may be coincidental that it errored out the way it did. Sorry if this was a time waster. We will see what happens during the next update. Thanks Bob - as always!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 10:00:59 am »

Just an update - 24 hours later and MC seems to be up and running since the update to 32.0.9 - not sure what was going on before, but it isn’t randomly locking up (so far anyway)

Also - I converted the 50 or so APE files I had to FLAC and none of them errored - so, again, may be coincidental that it errored out the way it did. Sorry if this was a time waster. We will see what happens during the next update. Thanks Bob - as always!
Great, thanks for the report back!

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 01:59:25 pm »

I wanted to give you an update on the lockup/freeze situation, but didn’t want to just repeat myself. So here’s what I found - but, again, I have no crash log to give you, because when it does it, I have to go into Activity Monitor and kill it.

If I open Media Center and I minimize MC - everything works as expected.

If I open Media Center, then close MC - leaving only the “server” component running up in the menu bar - somewhere between 3 and 4 days, it freezes and I have to go into activity monitor and kill it off.

For now, I’m just leaving MC minimized and have had no issues - but thought you’d want to know, for development’s sake. I did not have this issue when I was running MC 31. So not sure what might have changed between the two developments.

Let me know if I can provide you with any further info to help out.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 02:17:01 pm »

I wanted to give you an update on the lockup/freeze situation, but didn’t want to just repeat myself. So here’s what I found - but, again, I have no crash log to give you, because when it does it, I have to go into Activity Monitor and kill it.

If I open Media Center and I minimize MC - everything works as expected.

If I open Media Center, the close MC - leaving only the “server” component running up in the menu bar - somewhere between 3 and 4 days, it freezes and I have to go into activity monitor and kill it off.

For now, I’m just leaving MC minimized and have had no issues - but thought you’d want to know, for development’s sake. I did not have this issue when I was running MC 31. So not sure what might have changed between the two developments.

Let me know if I can provide you with any further info to help out.
I can try duplicating this in the debugger but I'd need more info.
What are your sleep settings?
Is your database local when this is happening?
Is the data on the internal machine storage, external attached storage or a NAS?

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 02:21:57 pm »

What are your sleep settings?
Is your database local when this is happening?
Is the data on the internal machine storage, external attached storage or a NAS?

1.) I use amphetamine to keep the server awake at all times, I only allow the monitors to sleep.
2.) Database is local and on the server - not on an external drive.
3.) If by data, you mean the music files - those are all on a NAS (Synology) Otherwise, all of the data to run MC is on the local machine - only the music files are stored externally on my 24TB NAS.

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 01:30:09 pm »

I'm not sure if my freeze problems are similar to the OP's but I did see some freezing issues with MC32.  I have mitigated the problem a bit so this is not an urgent for me. I am posting this to give the team more information. 

These issues started with MC32 - prior to that, I have used MC for years with no issues.  I was able to get a log from one of the hangs. I submitted that and it was suggested that it might be a problem with some device on the network misbehaving so I blocked incoming traffic to MC except for some known good devices.  That seems to have made the problem go away.  I have not recently added any devices to my network and this didn't happen in MC31.

For diagnostics, I disabled the firewall and it hung relatively quickly.  It is hung at the moment and I have run a few tests to see what I can do.  Here are some observations I have made:
  • When the UI freezes, I can still access MCWS - I have hit the alive function and I have also called authenticate successfully
  • I can explore my library in JRemote but I can't play on the local MC instance
  • JRemote can play music from my server
  • I was listening to an eleven minute song - the UI froze about 1:13 into the song but the song played to completion.  It did not play the next song.

I called http://{{server}}:{{port}}/MCWS/v1/Playback/Info?Zone=-1 on my server - I've attached playback.xml with the results.

I also tried http://{{server}}:{{port}}/MCWS/v1/Control/MCC?command=27001&parameter=3

the response was:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<Response Status="OK"/>

but the UI is still hung.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 01:42:09 pm »

This is indeed similar to my situation. I can get to the server via JRemote or MCWS but at the server, it’s dead in the water, then eventually freezes to the point where even JRemote and MCWS will no longer function.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 02:05:11 pm »

This sure sound like a deadlock in the main thread.
Matt made a change to not stall on a MCWS call when the db is being changed in MC32 but I don't see that would cause this, if anything it would alleviate it.
Perhaps turn on logging on the side that freezes and zip that up and send it to me
bob (at) jriver (dot) com.
It should be possible to see what the last thing running on the main thread was.

TP1964

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:27 pm »

ok - on my side, I opened MC, enabled logging - and then closed MC and left the MC Server running - as I’ve said previously, it takes days for this to show up, so I’ll zip up the log and send it to you as soon as it does it. Thanks, Bob. —T

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 02:58:47 pm »

Bob,
I had logging enabled when it hung.  The log file starts at 12:30pm and the hang occurred around 1:20pm.

My setup - the machine I normally use is my Mac Mini M2.  I always have the server running so I can access my music whenever I want to.  At the time this happened, I was at the desktop running locally.  No other clients in should have been accessing the system until after the freeze.  (After the freeze, I started testing via Postman and JRemote.)

Logs will be on the way in a moment.

Joe

crashjtm

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 09:30:47 am »

Out of curiosity, I turned off my firewall and started doing a packet capture which I reset every so often.  I ran all weekend with no issues so that's not going to help as a diagnostic tool though I will keep running it in case something happens.

I've never run a packet capture at home before.  My media server is getting requests from expected devices like my Blu-Ray player and TVs which are DLNA clients but it is also getting hit by light bulbs and smart outlets.  My home network is a noisy place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up