INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Active Templates for Theater View  (Read 9595 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: Active Templates for Theater View
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2024, 02:44:46 pm »

A similar template for TV Shows has been added in build 32.0.26
Thanks for including TV Shows! Some requests please:
-If a TV Episode has been partially watched, there used to be a field showing the percentage watched, which is now missing completely! How do we get that back? and/or can it be calculated into the "Ends at..." field?
-Can the TV channel number AND the channel Logo be shown on each view? Series list views and single Episode views.
-The "Director" field is generally useless for TV Shows, is there a way to eliminate it fully from all the TV views?
-When I look at a Series (list of Episodes) or when I select an Episode, there is no longer any episode thumbnails. Can these be added back in for both views?

NOTE: I have zero experience with codes, templates, etc. I'm willing to try, if there aren't too many steps and it's easy to undo!
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2024, 02:27:04 am »

In addition to partial watch state,  can we also get the field back in there when a file was last watched? I looked at that quite regularly when exploring my database to find something to (re-)watch.

The "Ends at" time also doesnt appear to obey system time locale, and shows AM/PM for me, rather then a 24 hour clock.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2024, 09:23:00 am »

I would like that with each new update of the default templates, such as the new TV Show template introduced with v26, my templates would remain and the default ones would update.

By changing the version number of the xml file saved in the library folder, this does not happen but simply all the previous templates, both mine and the default ones, remain.

If it can't be done, as I believe, it's obviously not a problem.

There is only one version for the whole templates file, so it currently cannot be done.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2024, 09:27:12 am »

So I raised an issue with the templates over on the Linux boards a week or so back, but didn't get a reply and thought I'd post here for visibility. 

I've tested the movie templates on a few different machines with the latest Linux build (32.0.25), and the templates are mostly empty for me (no cast pictures, no recommendations) and the alignment looks slightly wonky compared to the pictures I see in this thread.  I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. 

Are these templates currently expected to work on Linux (or non-windows platforms)?  If not, is there any way to get the old template behavior back?

Alternatively, if these are supported for Linux, I would also greatly appreciate getting partial watched states back.  That's a big part of our usage.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2024, 09:27:45 am »

Which audio track(s) get examined for "Analyze Video"?

I ask since most of my .mkv file (originally created for Plex and Roku) have two tracks -- the first one is just stereo and the second one is the multi-track audio.  The details for all files seems to have concluded that all the movies are just in stereo.

They are all available and it used to show icons for all, however, a user requested that only the first one is shown.  If you want to show all audio tracks, you need to edit a variable in the template which I can explain how to if you want.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2024, 09:38:20 am »

-If a TV Episode has been partially watched, there used to be a field showing the percentage watched, which is now missing completely! How do we get that back? and/or can it be calculated into the "Ends at..." field?
-Can the TV channel number AND the channel Logo be shown on each view? Series list views and single Episode views.
-The "Director" field is generally useless for TV Shows, is there a way to eliminate it fully from all the TV views?
-When I look at a Series (list of Episodes) or when I select an Episode, there is no longer any episode thumbnails. Can these be added back in for both views?

- I will work on this.
- This will only be for DVR recordings within MC, right?
- There is, but I am not sure everyone can agree on this, so I will make it a template variable that can be edited.
- I wanted to be able to see most of the details without having to scroll so I'm not sure where I could locate the thumbnail to maintain this?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2024, 09:44:04 am »

The "Ends at" time also doesnt appear to obey system time locale, and shows AM/PM for me, rather then a 24 hour clock.

I made the time format string a template variable because I didn't see a locale-dependent time formatting string for FormatDate() in expressions.  Do you know of one?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2024, 09:47:58 am »

Are these templates currently expected to work on Linux (or non-windows platforms)?  If not, is there any way to get the old template behavior back?

I don't think it has been tested on Linux.  You can get the old behavior back by selecting Manage > Import All Templates... in the File Info templates dialog and then selecting the backup that was made in your Library folder.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2024, 10:26:36 am »

I don't think it has been tested on Linux.  You can get the old behavior back by selecting Manage > Import All Templates... in the File Info templates dialog and then selecting the backup that was made in your Library folder.

I suspected that might be the case, but I was hoping to confirm whether you all could reproduce the issue.  I've been holding off on upgrading most of my Linux client machines to 32 because the templates are enabled by default, but are not working.  Possibly related, there are also some major rendering issues with the theater view spotlight tab on Linux as well (to be clear, spotlight in standard view works as expected).

I guess I'm trying to get a sense for whether these features are going to be supported cross-platform (like most JRiver functionality) or whether it will be a Windows-only feature (of which there are a couple)?  If the former, I'll keep making bug reports, but if the latter I'll just roll back to the old templates (and suggest that perhaps they shouldn't be enabled by default on Linux). 

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2024, 11:17:58 am »

There is only one version for the whole templates file, so it currently cannot be done.

okay, no problem, I'm sure these new templates will be more and more fantastic over time.

Some requests:
- is it possible to make the "recommended" string an option? I personally don't like it
- is there a plan to display a poster?
- regarding the aspect ratio icon, why is the one calculated after cropping not considered?
- are there plans to add subtitle languages and audio tracks with format indication?

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2024, 11:37:39 am »

I guess I'm trying to get a sense for whether these features are going to be supported cross-platform ...
Yes.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2024, 11:53:59 am »

Yes.

Thanks Jim!  I'll keep filing bugs in the build threads as I see them.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2024, 12:35:18 pm »

I made the time format string a template variable because I didn't see a locale-dependent time formatting string for FormatDate() in expressions.  Do you know of one?

%X or Time?

If that one doesnt work for some reason (I think it might show seconds, which might not be desirable), we can also define a new one using the named tokens, eg. "ShortTime" to always omit seconds, fitting with ShortDate
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2024, 12:43:27 pm »

- I wanted to be able to see most of the details without having to scroll so I'm not sure where I could locate the thumbnail to maintain this?

I actually agree with this request, it was the first thing I noticed after installing on my HTPC, as I mainly watch TV shows.

Having the thumbnail on the full detail page does feel like something that makes it better. Without having tried to fit it into the layout, what I would imagine is making the description only take 60% of the width and having a thumbnail on the right hand side instead, maybe a bit smaller then it used to be. The existing elements might even be ok with being slightly smaller. On a TV it all feels huge to me.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2024, 04:11:23 pm »

The new TV and Movie templates are awesome! Thanks!

I don't want to tweak the new templates too much, but I have a custom field, [Source], that I created to tell me where I got the video from.

I added it at the end of the Large Header expression in the Movie template and everything seems to work well.

I then added it to the TV Show template at the end of the Large and Small Header expressions and it sort of works.

I can see it for one show, but not another ... see attachments.

For the show where it isn't visible, it becomes visible when you click into the episode detail screen.

Q: Why is it partially working in the TV Show template? Did I add it in the right place(s)?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2024, 12:44:05 pm »

- is it possible to make the "recommended" string an option? I personally don't like it
- is there a plan to display a poster?
- regarding the aspect ratio icon, why is the one calculated after cropping not considered?
- are there plans to add subtitle languages and audio tracks with format indication?

- Would you want to hide the "Cast" title too?
- For TV Shows, yes.
- It uses the Aspect Ratio tag.  I am not familiar with the cropped aspect ratio but it can only be used if it is stored somewhere and not calculated at playback.
- No plans at the moment.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2024, 12:48:40 pm »

Q: Why is it partially working in the TV Show template? Did I add it in the right place(s)?

Make sure you have a / at the end of the line before your addition or it can mess things up.  Post your templates file and I will take a look. 

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2024, 01:43:11 am »

- Would you want to hide the "Cast" title too?
- For TV Shows, yes.
- It uses the Aspect Ratio tag.  I am not familiar with the cropped aspect ratio but it can only be used if it is stored somewhere and not calculated at playback.
- No plans at the moment.

- no, only recommended
-  :'(
- I get the cropped aspect ratio, thanks to S.o.T. of Jmone after creating the relevant field
- I think it would be interesting for many

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2024, 02:21:30 am »

Make sure you have a / at the end of the line before your addition or it can mess things up.  Post your templates file and I will take a look.

I added a "/" at the end of the regular templates and that fixed my 1st issue, but it added my field at the end of the header rather below it which is where I would prefer it.

I have attached my template.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2024, 02:48:56 am »

- I get the cropped aspect ratio, thanks to S.o.T. of Jmone after creating the relevant field

If MCs black bar detection is in use, then the main Aspect Ratio field should be updated with the active image aspect ratio after those black bars would be cropped.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2024, 04:56:21 am »

If MCs black bar detection is in use, then the main Aspect Ratio field should be updated with the active image aspect ratio after those black bars would be cropped.

You're right, but this isn't always the case, especially for TV Shows as you can see from the attached images.
I always activate black bar detection, but especially with TV Shows in 2.00 or 2.20 format, the result is what you see

Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2024, 05:11:54 am »

That looks like the value is just out of date, or overwritten by something else, MC no longer writes aspect ratios in the 16:9 format, only in the form of 1.78 or 2.39
The Aspect Ratio (Cropped) field is not a standard MC field, so built-in templates can't use it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2024, 12:03:30 pm »

32.0.29 will have watched status, small thumbnails for tv shows, and other recently requested changes.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2024, 01:15:47 pm »

That looks like the value is just out of date, or overwritten by something else, MC no longer writes aspect ratios in the 16:9 format, only in the form of 1.78 or 2.39
The Aspect Ratio (Cropped) field is not a standard MC field, so built-in templates can't use it.
16:9 I understand... That's my TV screen :) What's it's x.xx equivalent?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2024, 01:32:33 pm »

do the division :D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2024, 01:48:07 pm »

That simple huh? See, when it comes to things video, I really struggle joining the dots. There's so many moving pieces.

TBH, as I pressed "Post" there, I was thinking, "really, just ask Google ya lazy bar steward", but, the button was already pressed so 'lazy' won the day :)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2024, 09:27:01 am »

32.0.29 will have watched status, small thumbnails for tv shows, and other recently requested changes.
Looking good so far... TV Show thumbnails are back!

For TV channel number and logo, I manually added channel number to the file info panel (the old fashioned way), and you can see in the screenshot that it's not very pretty. It actually says the words "tv channel..." then shows a number. It would be better to take out the "tv channel..." text, and also show the channel logo & number information as it shows in the theater view tv guide (see screenshots). IMO placement of this should up near, maybe above/below or before/ahead of, the show episode number/name.

Also, in my screenshot there is a large empty space below the show description, then the word "Director" (which is always empty), then the file info logos are below that (which is always off screen unless I scroll down to it). How can we get rid of that empty space, get rid of the field "Director"? So that the logos can be seen right under the show description?

Thank you
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

_mulder

• Recent member
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2024, 10:33:20 am »

I really like the new TV Show template (especially with the posters/thumbnail image appearing now and where they are located; it really looks great)

Would it be possible to have something similar to this for movies at one point? I feel like there is some kind of wasted space especially in the large view (maybe above or to the right of the movie name?) and having a poster would improve this view (kind of like it was done in the new TV show template). I feel even the small view would benefit from having the poster shown above the movie name. I have tried to recreate for movies what was done for TV show but... Yeah, this is not my area of expertise.

Thanks

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2024, 09:36:21 am »

Would it be possible to have something similar to this for movies at one point?

This would cause wasted space at the top in the list view and on the right side in the single view which would reduce the number of Cast members and Recommended movies that would be shown.  But we could try it if there is a consensus. :)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2024, 04:29:03 am »

I would really like a poster, like in the lepa templates

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2024, 06:02:05 am »

I would really like a poster, like in the lepa templates

You can edit the template to add posters.

Open Options --> Theater View --> Customize file info panel
In the "Templates" section, use the drop-down to select 'Movie'
Press the "Manage" button to the right
Select 'Edit Template'
In the "General" section, under 'Style', use the drop-down to select between Standard, Large Image, Small Image, or (the theme default) No Image.
Click OK (3 times)

The movie poster should be displayed. However, as cncb mentioned, it does cause alignment issues, especially in Large View.

_mulder

• Recent member
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2024, 08:45:04 am »

Thank you MGD_King!! :D I have looked left and right to find a way to get this to show.

cncb wrote:
This would cause wasted space at the top in the list view and on the right side in the single view which would reduce the number of Cast members and Recommended movies that would be shown.  But we could try it if there is a consensus. :)

I get this and for now, at least the view that MGD_King explained does work. But you are one of the guru for these views and if something else with these poster would make more sense, that would be great. I feel it just add to the view and a good visual reminder of the movie that is being described.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2024, 08:54:38 am »

Very good!  :D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2024, 01:23:40 pm »

Without exception, everyone I've shown my old template, followed by the new, they all preferred my old one...

Why?
Yours has the poster. No other comments.

I should also clarify that "everyone" so far, equals eight or nine people aged between 16 and 60 :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2024, 01:26:55 pm »

Without exception, everyone I've shown my old template, followed by the new, they all preferred my old one...

Why?
Yours has the poster. No other comments.

I should also clarify that "everyone" so far, equals eight or nine people aged between 16 and 60 :)

I had a similar issue at my house.  Everyone asking "Where's the poster?" with the new templates.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2024, 03:55:16 pm »

OK, we can try it with a small poster like we did for tv shows for the next update.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2024, 04:10:34 am »

In the case of 4k films, the relevant icon appears. However, in the case of Full HD films, the FullHD 1080 icon appears only if the Height field shows the value of 1080, while if there is a lower value (as in the case of a cropped MKV) no icon appears: it is possible to use the definition field instead of Height?
I tried to modify the template, but I couldn't

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2024, 05:04:16 am »

In the case of 4k films, the relevant icon appears. However, in the case of Full HD films, the FullHD 1080 icon appears only if the Height field shows the value of 1080, while if there is a lower value (as in the case of a cropped MKV) no icon appears: it is possible to use the definition field instead of Height?
I tried to modify the template, but I couldn't

We don't have a ready-made-field for that, but if we're talking about rules to make it work, I would recommend a slightly more complex ruleset, so it covers both cropped content (eg. 1920x800) as well as 4:3 content (1440x1080)

Width >= 3840 || Height >= 2160 -> 4K
Width >= 1920 || Height >= 1080 -> 1080p
Width >= 1280 || Height >= 720 -> 720p
Width >= 720 && Height >= 576 -> 576p
Width >= 720 || Height >= 480 -> 480p

If this is too annoying to do in a template, I suppose I could make a expression function to return those tokens? Let me know!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2024, 02:05:12 am »

Let me know!

Are you referring to me? I have no idea what needs to be done, but I assume an expression needs to be created to insert into the template

HTPC Videophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2024, 11:31:21 pm »

I still don't see any icons for general Video Category files for Audio Codecs, Video Codecs  etc. Any plans for implementing this in the current Version ?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:56 am »

I still don't see any icons for general Video Category files for Audio Codecs, Video Codecs  etc. Any plans for implementing this in the current Version ?

No current plans but will keep it in mind for the future.  Note that at this time there are only icons for video containers, not video codecs.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2024, 07:37:41 pm »

OK, I started to read through the pages of comments.  My eyes blurred out  on page 2.

I tried, I really tried.  So, please be gentle if I suggest something that has already been discussed.

For starters, let me say that I know, and duly acknowledge, that there are many users (oh so many users) who have requests of JRiver regarding this new "live" Theater view.

And many kudos to them.  It is always great to receive product improvement suggestions.

With that in mind. Here's another suggestion ...

Maybe there can be an option to use the prior "Customize file info" templates, those that existed before this "live" effort took place?  For me, those templates were significantly more useful for what I wanted to see on the screen in Theater mode.

Not a "revert" option" but more of a "different view" option, for those who seem to be interested in information taking up screen space, instead of pretty pictures taking up screen space.

In other words, please provide the menu option to use the prior "pre-live" templates.

thx.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2024, 10:13:20 am »

In other words, please provide the menu option to use the prior "pre-live" templates.

See the first post for instructions on how to restore an old templates file.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2024, 08:23:00 pm »

See the first post for instructions on how to restore an old templates file.

Yes, I saw that, and I did that.

My question was not about how to revert to old templates, but more that the "old" templates should be brought forward with the new "live" templates.

In other words, the new "lives" templates seem to have replaced the "old" templates (as evidenced by your comment to "restore the old templates.")

My question...

Why should I have to restore them?  Why cannot they be another option alongside the current live templates?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

murray

New look Theatre View - fps missing
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2024, 06:42:54 pm »

I love the new look of Theatre View but we have now lost the fps of the title, can we get this back please?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2024, 07:54:11 pm »

Good idea, something like this maybe (I'm no artist!)? 
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2024, 07:59:40 pm »

Good idea, something like this maybe (I'm no artist!)?
Yes yes please Im missing my old fps listed. BTW I thought with the old 31 we had a list of what we could turn on or off in the display but I cant find that anymore???

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2024, 08:01:07 pm »

The new "Active" templates are much more fancy with icons etc.  Above my pay grade on how to modify these new templates, so best to leave it with the experts on this one!
JRiver CEO Elect

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2024, 09:52:21 am »

I don't have a wide variety of videos, but fps is stored as 2 decimal places for me (e.g. 23.98, 29.97).  Is this what everyone has so we can have standard icons or should it just be displayed as text?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2024, 10:04:53 am »

FPS is actually stored in full precision, but rounded to two decimals for display, so be careful with that. But there is only so many relevant frame rates that cover 99% of all content, and rounding to pick an image would be just fine:

- 23.976 (23.98 when rounded)

An argument could be made to also just fold the "plain" and NTSC rates into one (eg. 23.976 and 24 is just "24p"), but I imagine some people would also prefer to keep them separate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up