INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Upgrades with change to 4K TV  (Read 487 times)

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
PC Upgrades with change to 4K TV
« on: February 01, 2024, 05:10:29 pm »

I just changed from an older Sony 95ES 1080p projector to a Sony X95L 4k TV.  I am currently using JRiver v31 running on an older HTPC.  For JRVR I have had to use the Quality Performance preset as I get many lost frames using anything higher.

My question is it worth upgrading my htpc to get the most out of this new TV?  Currently I have a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB memory.  The graphics card is a Radeon RX570.  The currently JRMark is 4530.

Will I see any noticeable improvement in upgrading either CPU, video card, or both.
Thanks

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PC Upgrades with change to 4K TV
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 06:00:55 pm »

I just changed from an older Sony 95ES 1080p projector to a Sony X95L 4k TV.  I am currently using JRiver v31 running on an older HTPC.  For JRVR I have had to use the Quality Performance preset as I get many lost frames using anything higher.

My question is it worth upgrading my htpc to get the most out of this new TV?  Currently I have a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 16GB memory.  The graphics card is a Radeon RX570.  The currently JRMark is 4530.

Will I see any noticeable improvement in upgrading either CPU, video card, or both.
Thanks
You're probably due for a drop in processor upgrade at some point (AM4 is last gen and there's some good deals to be had), but GPU is going to make the biggest difference here. The better scaling possible with a bit of a more capable GPU is well worth it, especially since alot of content doesn't exist in 4K natively.

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 01:54:26 pm »

You're probably due for a drop in processor upgrade at some point (AM4 is last gen and there's some good deals to be had), but GPU is going to make the biggest difference here. The better scaling possible with a bit of a more capable GPU is well worth it, especially since alot of content doesn't exist in 4K natively.

Thanks for the reply.  This is what I was thinking so I started looking at the cost to upgrade.  I am shocked at the cost to upgrade.  My thoughts would be minimum upgrade path would be Ryzen 9 5900X and rx6600 or rx6600xt.  These should work with current motherboard and memory.  May also require new power supply.  I still need to do a little more research.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 06:47:03 am »

How about eschewing the discrete graphics and dropping in a 5700G? That would save money and electricity.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2024, 08:07:31 am »

IMO AMD Ryzen 5 2600 is still perfectly sufficient for MC. JRVR can utilize beefier GPU though. Benefits there can be somewhat subjective though meaning that some care and some don't about the difference the upgrade brings

eve

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 10:06:53 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  This is what I was thinking so I started looking at the cost to upgrade.  I am shocked at the cost to upgrade.  My thoughts would be minimum upgrade path would be Ryzen 9 5900X and rx6600 or rx6600xt.  These should work with current motherboard and memory.  May also require new power supply.  I still need to do a little more research.

5900x vs 5600x means almost nothing for playback to be honest. 12c vs 6c isn't changing much with what you're doing really. 5900x is overkill.

I'm more on the Nvidia side when it comes to GPUs, CUDA + better drivers is well worth the extra cost for me. JRVR doesn't stress my GPU nearly as much as what I have going on with MadVR (I use it alot less nowadays?). I had a 3060ti in another machine running all the JRVR stuff maxed out no problem, and MadVR did fine, this is targeting 4K 120HZ

altahomwtheatre

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 02:04:39 pm »

Thanks @eve @lepa @ByranC
I think I still need to learn and research more before I do any changes.  Still learning about HDR as I am coming from an older 1080p projector (Sony 95es).  One item I have picked up from reading some of your posts in other threads is to change to Nvidia video card, possibly the RTX 3060Ti which is available at $380cdn.

I have some other questions regarding setup that not sure where to post.  Will try here first but maybe better in the JRVR thread.

Currently picture looks fine using JRVR in low settings.  Looks similar at higher settings but have dropped frames.  My initial question is that when watching 4K HDR movie in full screen, if I move cursor to top of screen (or put movie in window), the picture changes drastically.  It is much brighter (although colors seem off - more red).  Is this normal?  The results are same for both JRVR and MadVR.  I did read in a MAdVR post that going into a window takes it out of HDR mode although my TV is still telling me its getting a HDR signal.  This behavior may be normal but wonder if there is a computer setting I may have incorrect.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up