INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art corruption  (Read 1302 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Cover art corruption
« on: February 11, 2003, 06:34:21 am »

OK I have spent a fair bit of time with getting cover art on my albums and store each albums front image in the directory with the music...

When I do an import for a library MC finds the album covers... There are of course some I was still missing and so I figured with the new image tools I would see what I could do with auto tools...

I tried on an album and it worked... Low rez covers (I used to get the CDCovers.cc ones at SVGA or so until the RIAA screwed that up!!) but better than nothing...

So I selected all my audio files and set it to collect cover art from the internet if no cover art was available... I went to bed...  

I woke up and MC had ignored the if not already part of that and got cover art for all artists... This meant that covers had changed... Gone low rez... etc...

OK so I figured I would just delete (actaully rename as I wanted some of them) the Covers folder in the MJ program folder (how would you get it to SAVE them in the album folder?) and re-import... WRONG !!!

The function had edited ALL my tags... totally corrupting my tagging which is far more important than the MJ database which can be rebuilt... As it is I am still not done fixing this after a LOT of hours of manually re pointing the tags back to where they should be...

I realize its beta but its a PITA none the less.

Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cover art corruption
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 07:09:46 am »

I don't totally understand.

External cover art links aren't stored in the tags -- only the library.

If a re-import finds the wrong external file, it's not the tags, just where the data is.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 07:29:31 am »

Then I dont understand either.. The first thing I did was delete the library and re import (so it should find my covers in the directory of each album) but that listed the other files (in covers folder) so I renamed the covers folder to another name, made an empty covers folder like I had before and again cleared and reimported the library..

Now I get red X's indicating broken link in the image placements (playing now etc) on lots of images... I also get failed to load image or a similar error from the AV plug in referencing the files in the old covers folder on C:\etc...\covers(nothing should point locally in my system all is done on a networked M: drive)... This is after 2 reimports of the library...

At this point I assumed it was then coded into a APE tag and started to manually fix it (covers are very important as I have glissando running throughout the house)...

BTW I remember discussion about adding cover art embedding to APE files on the MA forum... Did this go anywhere ??    
HTPC Front ends  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 07:41:30 am »

BTW I remember discussion about adding cover art embedding to APE files on the MA forum... Did this go anywhere ??

This has always worked -- just enable "Store images inside files"

Also, there's a chance that APE files tagged with MJ 8 _do_ specify an external cover art file.  We no longer do this.

So, do "Update Tags (always)" with a few files.  It'll make new tags with no image file field.  Then re-import.

Only do a few files to test.  Let us know.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 08:03:33 am »

Matt,

Thanks for the support... If I select store image inside files will it store a high rez image inside of each APE track ?? This may not be so clever after all as i gave up on APE / APL in the end and now have track by track rips...

I will try your test tomorrow (its nearly 1 AM with me) and report... This was a v8 database previously but I assumed if I imported it twice it would be a MC9 database now...

One thing is sure... While MC already had images that it loaded and displayed for many albums it still thought it did not and tried to DL new ones... This is not correct behaviour / detection in the 'do I have an image associated' logic...

Thanks again..
HTPC Front ends  

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 12:08:42 pm »

Matt;

Why is this?

>> External cover art links aren't stored in the tags -- only the library. <<

This seems to be totally insane... no cover art links in the ripped files?  That means that anytime I have to rebuild the database from scratch, all my cover art links are lost.  This has happened to me on too many occasions.

This has caused me no end to cover art problems.

See Re: Album Art Security Is Totally Lacking In MC9?

Only the files ripped with MJ 8 seem to retain cover art as MJ 8 had link to cover art in the files.

With MC 9, everytime I have to reimport the database the cover art created with MC 9 is gone as it does not have links to the ripped files (only in the database which is deleted on some new builds).

Any chance that cover art links can be added back into MC9?  I think that may resolve the endless cover art problems that I have been having.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 12:35:29 pm »

Doc,
"Totally insane" is a little strong.

It's the way it works.  It isn't a bug.  Please adapt to it.

We've suggested that you change your scheme before.  If you put the images in the same folder as the album, MC will find them.

Jim

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 01:24:25 pm »

OK thats fair but...

Why doesn't MC believe it has cover art when it does (bug not feature ??) and how do I make MC save cover art back in the album folder if this is now the default place to look for it (good thats where I like to store it) ??
HTPC Front ends  

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 02:34:05 pm »

Hi Jim,

Sorry about the "insane" comment but I am at my wits end on this issue as absolutly nothing works as advertised!

Putting the album cover art in the same folder as the ripped files does not work for me.  As stated on a previous thread I have already tried that on all my covers... no luck... did not work.

As I said before I am giving up on cover art for awhile.

Judging by the number of threads on cover art problems I still think there has to be a better (and more realiable) way of dealing with cover art.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 03:02:55 pm »

> Sorry about the "insane" comment but I am at my wits end on this issue as absolutly nothing works as advertised!

Please read the advertising more carefully.
Pages: [1]   Go Up