INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connection question when connecting to a remote library server  (Read 460 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Connection question when connecting to a remote library server
« on: February 20, 2024, 05:54:32 am »

Hi,

When I launch MC from an installation on a PC that is remote to the library server, the connection window shows an attempt to try and connect four (4) times to what appears to be an IP address or link to my ISP before the program actually finds the server that I had set up.

Is there any way to stop the program attempting to connect to an IP address with "Comcast.va"?

Thank you.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Connection question when connecting to a remote library server
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 11:32:15 am »

I get that behavior too when my modem/firewall is slow to forward the port to my library server PC (or the pc is still loading so busy). I'm not an expert but I don't see how it could be avoided if the modem/firewall is slow to respond. This said,  you could possibly delay the start of Media server if the pc itself is causing the slow connection.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 06:11:40 am »

Very possibly.  When I watch the connection window, the program seems to first go out to the internet address, trying four times before failing, and then it finally gets around to looking up the library defined in the Media Network section of the hosting server.  Why not attempt to connect to the local server first?

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 01:03:29 pm »

Just to be sure that I'm understanding your scenario- you have one or more devices outside your home internet modem/firewall trying to connect to one (your library server) that is within your home internet modem/firewall- correct?

If so, to my knowledge the connectivity has to first go over the internet in order to get to your modem/firewall which then can forward the traffic to the local IP address configured there for your library server. Your home internet modem/firewall handles the NAT (network address transformation) and port forwarding that routes to your library server.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 01:51:00 pm »

My apologies.  Both the server itself and the clients (where I am seeing this issue) are all inside my home and on the same network connected via Ethernet.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 03:09:40 pm »

Thanks for clarifying. Do you have a static IP address set for the library server PC? If not, I suggest that you do then instead of using the access key on the client PCs inside the home network, use the IP address of the library server followed by  a colon then the port number that MC uses -  mine is 192.168.250.4:52199.

This should avoid the need MC to talk to the JRiver server to then connect back through your internet modem/firewall to get to the library server.

If you ever need to remotely access (from your phone at the office for example) to your library server you'd have to do a port forward in your internet modem so that MC traffic on port 52199 would be forwarded to the IP address of your library server pc then specify the access key of the library server in Gizmo.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 06:07:13 am »

Craig, using the URL/I.P. address of the server rather than the access key was the answer to my dilemma.

Many thanks!

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 06:17:36 am »

Glad that its working now. You're welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up