INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical Split  (Read 237 times)

comox

• Galactic Citizen
Vertical Split
« on: February 22, 2024, 02:28:48 pm »

4. Changed: Removed the keyboard shortcut to flip Playing Now and added a menu choice instead.

It seems vertical split is not persistent. Is that intentional? I think it should persist.

1) select Playing Now1
2) right click vertical split
3) select Playing Now2
4) select Playing Now1 - now back to horizontal split

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Vertical Split
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 02:41:02 pm »

It seems vertical split is not persistent. Is that intentional? I think it should persist.

1) select Playing Now1
3) select Playing Now2

It only remembers if you go back with the back command.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 03:01:00 pm »

It only remembers if you go back with the back command.

Got it. I think it should persist but am ok with it as is.

I also think Player\Preview Mode should persist but I seem to be the only one.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 04:29:22 pm »

The new Vertical Split line in the Player tab menu is an elegant simple solution.  Thanks!

With multiple Player tabs, it seems one is always the "master".  Other Player tabs are apparently subordinate windows displaying the text line "The display for this zone is owned by a different window".  Only the master has a RMB context menu in the contents window, which among other things, allows selection of lyrics display for the master window.

The Player "button" (album cover icon, located to the right of the right-side spectrum display in the top header area) is a handy way to jump to a Player window.  However I find that with more than one Player tab available, its jump destination can be inconsistent - sometimes it jumps only to a subordinate Player tab, other times only to the master Player tab.  So after jumping I sometimes have to switch Player tabs to see lyrics, an extra step.

Please clarify what is going on here with jumps from the header Player button to the Player tab.  Thanks.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 04:55:12 pm »

1) select Playing Now1
3) select Playing Now2
I can't quite reproduce this.  In any case, have you tried locking the player tabs so they always remember their split state?

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 05:47:22 pm »

I can't quite reproduce this.  In any case, have you tried locking the player tabs so they always remember their split state?

Try my steps from within the same tab. 

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 08:14:12 pm »

If you want the vertical split layout to persist, you have to enable the checkbox under General/Advanced/Split Playing Now Vertically. Doing this will make will make the horizontal split the "temporary" layout, and the vertical layout will be the default. The very actions you describe will now always revert to the vertical split layout instead.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make in the beta thread - that having this setting actually makes it more confusing. If instead you simply shift-clicked the playing now tree node to toggle between horizontal and vertical layouts like I suggested, there would be zero confusion… a toggle is as simple as it gets and everyone would understand it immediately.  But I wave the white flag on this one.

comox

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 08:49:56 pm »

If you want the vertical split layout to persist, you have to enable the checkbox under General/Advanced/Split Playing Now Vertically.

It might even be a little more confusing for me because I want Playing Now1 to be vertical and Playing Now2 to be horizontal.

I use Playing Now1 for music which does not need very many columns displayed so vertical works, and Playing Now2 for video which needs a lot more metadata displayed and therefore must be horizontal.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 08:58:40 pm »

I agree that having multiple instances of PN tabs that behave completely independent of the others would be ideal. Mark has also requested that. I'm guessing that a fair amount of tinkering under the hood would be required to make that happen, which I presume is why it doesn't already behave that way.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:56:54 am »

It would be more clear to me if vertical split either it sticks or don't not something between. Check mark in the options if needed at all could be just to set default split mode. Sticking doesn't matter for people who only use one zone but I bet many of us have different zones with different dsp settings for playing music, movies etc. I also have hoped and asked for independent playing now zones so e.g. audio, video and image zones could have their own column sets as desired columns I want to see differs quite much between media types.
Pages: [1]   Go Up