INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I control a music server remotely?  (Read 892 times)

simplydigital

• nothing more to say...
How can I control a music server remotely?
« on: February 10, 2003, 05:16:50 am »

Hi,

I've just bought 2 new plasma screens for my house and I’m looking for something to act as a music server. I want to be able to control a music library through a remote control, with all information displayed on the plasma. I'm not bothered about multi room, I just want something that is easy to use via remote control and will look good on a plasma screen and is relatively easy to set up as I’m not that computer literate.

I am considering buying a marantz music server, but that's about £2500 ($4000) so this could be a much cheaper alternative.

Does anybody have a similar set up using media centre 9?

Thanks in advance

Steven

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How can I control a music server remotely?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 05:32:32 am »

This is possible with Media Center.  There are a lot of ways to do it, but you probably want to use the Hairstyle interface in MC and maybe NetRemote.

In the instruction thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183015

there are links to Hairstyle and Netremote, etc.  Take a look there for details.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Re: How can I control a music server remotely?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 06:24:47 am »

Steven please look into Glissandio and the web remote plug in... Its a flash app that works as a simple TV  friendly front end for MJ or MC... I use it on wireless 802..1 touchpads, my projector, and a special LCD screen by my equipment rack (hacked $65 net applice really cool !!)...

There are other attractive players you could use that dont have network control built in (but can be used this way with 2 PC's if you want via XP's RDC) but I consider it not appropriate to mention them on JRiver forum.. Please email or ICQ me if it is wanted... Note that none of them have JRiver database / taggings / image / etc tools so you would still want MJ or MC anyway !!!

I hope to be able to mention an app that is under development soon but <bites lip> must... resist... temptation... :-X

Lots of options for this kind of stuff discussed on AVS...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up