INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setup a server but still have access/sync when a laptop has no networking?  (Read 253 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen

Hi all

I have been using jriver for a better part of 15 years but only dipping my toes now in the server-client options

I am still very confused on the proper way of how to setup things and would appreciate any help or guidance here :)

so I have a Qnap, a MBP a MB air and a windows laptop

how does one approach this so that I always have my current library (With latest files, ratings views etc) in every scenario ie:

- home (full network access)
- office (internet connection)
- abroad/traveling (no internet connection at all)

I gathered that I would be best to perhaps install a "server" on the Qnap and then of course can access it from any device when im home

but what about the office (where I have Internet but maybe have issues with ISP dynamic IP's and firewalls) and more critical when im traveling for a few days and have zero internet connection?

whats the best approach to take to cover all grounds?

best regards

Z

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen

ping :) any thoughts anyone? really struggling to get the concept here and get some guidance of how to get this setup

any thoughts/tips would really appreciated!

thx a bunch in advance

Z

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Home and Office scenarios work fine using the current Access Key methods, just have MC installed in the client laptop and connect using the server's access key.

- abroad/traveling (no internet connection at all)

There's no access path to the NAS in this case. You would need to copy the files/playlists you want to the laptop before travelling. There's a new feature in MC32 to copy an entire library to another PC/laptop which you could use, but it's still work in progress and I'm not sure you can limit what you want to copy (check the pinned topics in MC32 forum). Another way is to use the Device Sync features of MC or the Rename/Copy tool to copy what you want, but then you can't use your current MC library to play it, you'd need to re-import the copied files to a new local MC library or play using another player.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen

thank you so much @zybex for the response ! :)

I will setup a server for the home/office use, thx

as I understand from Jim the new copy function will copy ALL your files/library each time..thats a bit harsh every few weeks when I travel :) maybe they will implement some delta/sync functions in the future? one can hope :D

as for your copy files suggestion that will only copy the files without the library (ie the ratings, views etc?) right?

thx so much!

Z

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

as for your copy files suggestion that will only copy the files without the library (ie the ratings, views etc?) right?

Right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up