INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC have audio problem with videos that play fine in other media players  (Read 177 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I have been using Audacity to extract stereo audio tracks from MKV video files and then apply a fade out. The resulting FLAC files play fine in JRiver Media Center 31 and fade to nothing at the end. I then use MKVToolnix to insert these edited tracks back into the videos in place of the original audio. That process appears to work fine until I play the modified MKV videos in Media Center, when there is a very short but clear burst of music at the end. It appears to be a brief repeat of music played within the final few seconds of the video.

This problem only happens with Media Center. When the same edited videos are played in Microsoft Media Player or VLC Media Player, the audio drops to zero at the end as expected.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here with MC?

EDIT:  I have just realised that the editing of the audio track is irrelevant. I get exactly the same problem with the unmodified MKV files, which are excerpts from a MakeMKV rip of one of my Blu-ray recordings of a Mozart opera. I created these excerpts using MKVToolnix to split the original MKV file at specified timestamps.   

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I am still very interested to know why MC behaves in this manner, but I have made some progress in finding a way to bypass the problem.

My editing of the audio track was not the cause but it does offer a potential solution. If I generate a second or so of additional silence in Audacity at the end of the track before merging it with the original video in MKVToolnix then the resulting video will often play fine in MC, with no extra brief burst of sound at the end. Having the audio track slightly longer than the video track has made that problem go away in some, but not all cases.
Pages: [1]   Go Up