INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably Dumb JRVR Tonemapping Question  (Read 153 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Probably Dumb JRVR Tonemapping Question
« on: March 13, 2024, 03:59:22 pm »

I've started using JRVR's tonemapping instead of passing the latter through to the display (a low-end Samsung 43Q60T 4K TV), for while I like the look of the pass-through slightly better, I get little intermittant glitches (with no dropped or repeated frames registered in MC) usually after cuts in a scene. 95% of the time it works well, but those little glitches annoy me to no end.

These glitches seem to go away when I tone map with JRVR, so I'm chalking it up to the low-end Samsung. However, when I'm playing a 4K mkv, with HDR10(+) or DV, the output on the OSD says "BT. 709" and "SDR," unless I set the Calibration in JRVR to force BT. 2020 (or whatever else), but I still get "SDR." Is this just a function of tone mapping within MC? Why would the output be "SDR" when the input is, for example, a full 4K mkv (e.g., on the 4K extended Fellowship of the Ring, the color space is BT. 2020, the HDR Format is DV/HDR10+ compatible)?

If it matters, I attached my HDR settings in JRVR.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Probably Dumb JRVR Tonemapping Question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 04:58:57 pm »

You have two options for output - SDR or HDR. If you use pass-through, you get HDR. Otherwise, with tonemapping, you get SDR. This is solely about the output to the screen, not the input format. Note that SDR on many displays will also expect BT.709.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Probably Dumb JRVR Tonemapping Question
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 05:17:06 pm »

Ah, OK, that's what I wondered. Thanks for clarifying, Hendrik!
Pages: [1]   Go Up