INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tonality  (Read 514 times)

smart

• Recent member
Tonality
« on: March 16, 2024, 07:21:56 am »

Hello, please add a field. Tonality (am, etc.).
Let the program determine it itself.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tonality
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 10:15:09 am »

Do you mean Atonal/Bitonal/Polytonal/etc? If so I don't think that can currently be detected with any kind of accuracy (I may be wrong).
You can add a Tonality field and manually fill in the values you want.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 05:45:06 pm »

I think the OP may be requesting an audio analysis that gives a value for the estimated key & scale of a given track e.g. key=A, scale=minor

This can be done by analyzing the spectral peaks to create a harmonic pitch class profile (HPCP), the key and scale can then be estimated from the HPCP based on the genre of the music.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 06:07:14 pm »

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

smart

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 05:56:20 am »

It's done in VirtualDJ (for example)
and there is a function where the next song will play (also an interesting function)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 07:04:23 pm »

See this topic here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100632.0 Hendrik added support for the 'Initial Key' field back in MC21.
The usual way to populate this field is to use some application like 'MixedInKey' to do the track analysis external to MC and write the tag to the file.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel and add another arbitrary field like 'Tonality'.
I think it would be a major request for JRiver to add the analysis function required to populate the 'Initial Key' natively, but you can always ask (nicely)!

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up