INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hum on my stereo speakers  (Read 1084 times)

nydavey

• Recent member
  • LIVE FROM NEW YORK IT's....NYDAVEY !
hum on my stereo speakers
« on: February 08, 2003, 01:57:19 pm »

Although this is not really MJ related, I was wondering if anyone is having a problem with a loud speaker hum when they plug their computer sound out into their AV receiver. I am getting delirious as I have tried everything at this point including upgrading speaker wire; plugging into different inputs, etc... and it isn't going away; bummer since I love Media Center 9 and can't enjoy the sound output.

I am using an SVideo connector to the receiver to use tv as monitor and sound out on my sound card.

Anyways, any direction, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!

NYDavey ?

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: hum on my stereo speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 02:52:46 pm »

I had trouble with noise from my on-board soundcard. I think it was just random noise from various computer activities. I solved it with a USB output device. Mine is Stereo-Link and I'm very happy with it but the point is to get your output away from your computer's insides. There are cheaper devices than Stereo-Link but I don't know how well they work. My S-L has performed flawlessly for a couple of years, now.

\http://www.stereo-link.com/

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

phelt

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 03:20:38 pm »

I had a problem like this once. Fixed by muting the analog CD input in my sound card's utility.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 03:39:22 pm »

Mute anything you don't need.

Increase the setting for wave in Windows audio control.

nydavey

• Recent member
  • LIVE FROM NEW YORK IT's....NYDAVEY !
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 10:00:02 am »

Thanks Charlemagne for giving me pointers.

I did some research and decided to try xitel Pro HiFi Link; found it was at J&R Music World (jandr.com) went there and bought it.

I hooked it up to my stereo via USB and an optical cable to my receiver AND THE SOUND IS AWESOME! No hum, static, pops or anything just pure digital sound! UNBELIEVABLE DIFFERENCE>

The Pro Hi-Fi LInk costs $99.00; comes with all the cable you need to hook up.

nydavey :)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 01:55:43 pm »

I don't think computers are being made (yet) with high fidelity in mind so things are not really shielded the way they should be. Some people never have any problems but some do. I was hearing whines and buzzes when the hard drive was writing and whines and buzzes when the CD-RW spun up. There were occasional crackles that didn't seem to correspond to anything. Getting the output away from all that activity was the trick.
Glad you had success.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up