INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make JRiver default music and video app  (Read 193 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Make JRiver default music and video app
« on: April 01, 2024, 04:31:03 am »

In Tools / Options / File Types I have just set JRiver to be the default player for aac files. However when I look in Windows Settings, Windows Media Player is still the default player for aac files.
Is there any way (short of reinstalling MC32) to make MC the default player for all Audio and Video file types. Windows has become so complicated, it is almost impossible to see which parameter is controlled from which setting.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Make JRiver default music and video app
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 06:13:19 am »

This may not be the easiest way but if you're using Win 11, you can go to Settings - Apps - Default Apps then choose whether you want to specify specific file extensions or click on the Media Center app  then change the applicable file types listed there. This is an almost painful process as it seems that you can only do one file type/extension at a time. You can also do this by going to Settings - Apps - Default Apps - Choose Defaults by file type

If you're only having issues with one or a few tile types like .aac, it may be faster to right click on one of these files and choose Properties then click the Change button to the right of the Opens With option then select MC32 then Apply and Ok.

I hope that there's an easier way but if so, I haven't found it. Things used to be so much easier when the defaults set in/by Media Center changed the Windows defaults.

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Make JRiver default music and video app
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 07:50:03 am »

Thanks @craigmcg
That's is exactly the extent of my knowledge as well.
One used to be able to 'give' an app all the extensions it was capable of using, but those days of 'easy' Windows are long gone
 :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up