INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A View showing only the highest bitrate version of songs?  (Read 249 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
A View showing only the highest bitrate version of songs?
« on: April 02, 2024, 04:58:19 pm »

Greetings,
I would like to create a view of my audio files filtering out duplicates and lower bitrate versions.

I do not want to clean the library, as some songs appear on multiple records and compilations, that I want to keep complete, it is a playback thing.

For a given Artist and Name, if I have multiple flac and mp3 versions of a song, I would like to show only the highest bitrate version.
I would then proceed to modify that view to manually add exceptions, for instance some extended versions that may be interesting.

Wizard stock rule : "Remove Duplicates of Artist;Name"
and Smartlist : "Audio -- Task -- Possible duplicates" are very nice tools, but I would like better control.

If I could have sample code snippets, I would be able to alter them at will.

I am always on the latest stable version.

Thank you.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: A View showing only the highest bitrate version of songs?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 05:50:24 pm »

You can create a Smartlist like this, then use it to filter a View (or just use the Smartlist direcly):
~sort=[Bitrate]-d ~nodup=[Artist],[Name] ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Date (year)],[Disc #],[Track #]

The last ~sort is optional - you can also sort on the View itself.

eve

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 06:04:20 pm »

This seems fraught with problems, definitely can be worked around though IMO

Lots of track name:artist combos that are legitimately different recordings.

I wonder if there might be some sort of field you could use as a flag like 'preferedVersion' or 'isAlternativeRecording'  as a way to help with this more catch all approach?

For example, again I don't know your naming exactly but if an artist has a live album, a 'song' (the same composition) appears on the live album and on the actual album, the 'title' of the track from the live album may not have a discriminator. In this case, you'd be picking the highest bitrate one but that doesn't exactly make sense because they're two fundamentally different recordings. A shortcut may be an extra comparison check between the title of the albums containing possible duplicate tracks? Partial match, you take the first x of the album title, if it's the same, it's likely the same 'album' and thus a track maybe worthy of 'picking the highest bitrate and hiding the others'  (edge cases exist but this would catch a decent number of issues outright).

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:08:25 pm »

I would highly caution you on believing a higher bitrate equals a better version.  Many factors go into that, including Dynamic Range, who mastered it, the source file among others.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 05:52:01 pm »

Thank you all.
I am aware of the drawbacks, that is my reason to seek more control.
Zybex gave me a missing piece, great!

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up