INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On-going problem with "special characters"  (Read 369 times)

DmitryB

• World Citizen
On-going problem with "special characters"
« on: April 11, 2024, 12:58:41 pm »

Hello all!

I've been writing this for each version for a few years now, but the problem persists and I can't figure out why.

When a Group name had some special characters (č for example), the Group does not display the music inside it. Only when the special character is removed - contents inside the Group appear. I'm attaching screen grabs below of the name Ančerl vs. Ancerl.

In a previous discussion a couple of years ago Bob said it may have something to do with de-composed utf-8 vs. pre-composed utf-8 files. I honestly don't know how this can be fixed - I did not change my anything on my system except update my OS whenever a new version comes out.

I am currently on Mac OS Ventura 13.6 and my MC version is 32.0.20.

I'm attaching below 2 screen grabs showing what happens when a č is included vs. a regular c. And another screen grab of a possible explanation Bob offered in May of last year.

Thanks!

DmitryB

• World Citizen
Re: On-going problem with "special characters"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 01:53:59 pm »

BUMP

Moderators??? I've love to find a fix for this!!!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 02:37:16 pm »

We've talked about this before, yes - you sometimes do not see the replies.

On this thread, it seems to me that Bob tested renaming a *View* node using your database, but you are complaining about Playlist Groups. Maybe bob can take another look.

DmitryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 08:26:52 pm »

Yes, it did work for Bob. He talked about a possible issue being pre-composed vs. de-composed utf-8 - and that it should have converted when I first ran a new version of MC - but that was now literally years ago. And nothing seems to be converting...  ?  :'(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 01:08:33 am »

Yes, it did work for Bob. He talked about a possible issue being pre-composed vs. de-composed utf-8 - and that it should have converted when I first ran a new version of MC - but that was now literally years ago. And nothing seems to be converting...  ?  :'(
What version are you using?

DmitryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 11:04:27 am »

What version are you using?

Hi Jim,

My current MC version is 32.0.36 (Intel.) I'm on a MacMini, running Ventura 13.6.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 01:29:43 pm »

Try choosing a track and reentering the Artist tag. Perhaps that's decomposed somehow. See if that fixes that one track.

DmitryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 07:07:43 pm »

Try choosing a track and reentering the Artist tag. Perhaps that's decomposed somehow. See if that fixes that one track.

Bob, all characters work in the Tag window, I can do anything naming Artists, Titles, etc. It is only in the Group name in the side Tree that the special characters make all tracks within the Group disappear.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 08:42:54 pm »

Bob, all characters work in the Tag window, I can do anything naming Artists, Titles, etc. It is only in the Group name in the side Tree that the special characters make all tracks within the Group disappear.
The group has to match the artist, right?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:21:03 am »

No Bob, it's a Playlist Group, not a View node. It's just a container for other playlists, manually named, and it has no effect on filtering or sorting; the name does not need to match any tag. I think you had tested this on a View, not a Playlist Group.

DmitryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:45:46 am »

No Bob, it's a Playlist Group, not a View node. It's just a container for other playlists, manually named, and it has no effect on filtering or sorting; the name does not need to match any tag. I think you had tested this on a View, not a Playlist Group.

What zybex says.In the images above (I'm including them here now too) I'm talking about the Playlist Group name, in the side Tree. When Karel Ančerl is written - I can not see the albums in the playlist. When I change it to plain Ancerl - the albums re-appear.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:16:27 am »

What zybex says.In the images above (I'm including them here now too) I'm talking about the Playlist Group name, in the side Tree. When Karel Ančerl is written - I can not see the albums in the playlist. When I change it to plain Ancerl - the albums re-appear.
Sure but it has to filter against something to show the list.

DmitryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:58:40 am »

Sure but it has to filter against something to show the list.

I use the proper Ančerl in other places, like in Artist Name and Conductor. The only place the characters are not recognized is in the Playlist Group name in the side Tree. It works everywhere else. You can see that in the screen grabs. When Playlist Group name is changed to Ancerl, you can see in the album information Ančerl in Artist Name. So the program recognizes the characters - but not in Playlist Group name. That seems to be the only place it doesn't recognize it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:17:06 am »

I use the proper Ančerl in other places, like in Artist Name and Conductor. The only place the characters are not recognized is in the Playlist Group name in the side Tree. It works everywhere else. You can see that in the screen grabs. When Playlist Group name is changed to Ancerl, you can see in the album information Ančerl in Artist Name. So the program recognizes the characters - but not in Playlist Group name. That seems to be the only place it doesn't recognize it.
Again, there are 2 items that have to match.
The Group Name has to match the album information.
You are obviously able to enter the č in the group name but for some reason that's not matching against the album information.
How are you entering the č into the group name?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:39:56 am »

Bob, you're misunderstanding how playlist groups work. They don't match anything - it's just a container for other playlists. When clicking on a playlist group node, it shows all files that are part of all playlists under that node (so you can argue that it matches a list of playlist IDs, but that's all). The files do NOT need to have anything at all in common for filtering. You can simply drag a bunch of assorted files into a playlist, then drag it under a manually created playlist group. That's it, no filtering at all.

The bug is that you should be able to make the group anything at all without affecting the files listed under it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:43:14 pm »

Bob, you're misunderstanding how playlist groups work. They don't match anything - it's just a container for other playlists. When clicking on a playlist group node, it shows all files that are part of all playlists under that node (so you can argue that it matches a list of playlist IDs, but that's all). The files do NOT need to have anything at all in common for filtering. You can simply drag a bunch of assorted files into a playlist, then drag it under a manually created playlist group. That's it, no filtering at all.

The bug is that you should be able to make the group anything at all without affecting the files listed under it.
Assuming that's the case it should affect MC on al platforms, not just the Mac, correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up