INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: continuously cloning files+library+tags 1:1 to laptop  (Read 454 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
continuously cloning files+library+tags 1:1 to laptop
« on: April 12, 2024, 08:00:07 am »

Hi all

so I kind of gave up on the server-client process since the workflow was not really working for me.

I (think) I have a fairly simple workflow in mind where I want to have my main machine (desktop) and my laptop synced with the same MC library views, same music files same tags etc no matter where I edit them.

is this something viable to use a good syncing tool so sync the files/jriver config files/library between two machines?

I can do this manually each time before I use the laptop if auto syncing isnt a good idea

would love to hear any thoughts on the matter

thx so much

z

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: continuously cloning files+library+tags 1:1 to laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 10:38:57 am »

Given that MC does that syncing for the library, probably the 1st q is how that workflow doesn't work for you? Without knowing this, it's not obvious how you won't just implement the same workflow again except having to do that manually.

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 11:07:19 am »

thx mattkhan

well mc will not sync the files right? so this has to be done manually/auto via an app (lets say syncthing or any other app)

so I thought to get 1:1 cloning of desktop and laptop even when I make changes in either I will setup a 2 way sync that keeps each instance 1:1 and then each time I change anything in either I would manually sync the files, library etc?

does that make any sense or is there a easier way to do this :D :D 

really appreciate your thoughts mattkhan

Z

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 01:55:02 pm »

I'm assuming your workflow involves needing to run mc on your laptop while away from your network (e.g. traveling).  You may find a few threads here re: folks trying to manage two sets of media with two separate instances of MC, but usually with limited success.  Maybe your syncing idea would work, but I'm not sure which file(s) make up the entire MC "Library".  When you need to run MC only on the laptop... maybe only sync the media files and then restore an MC backup from the PC to the laptop?  Of course, this all requires you media paths are identical on both machines.  I'm just guessing here as I've never tried this. 

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 06:10:01 am »

thx mattkhan

well mc will not sync the files right? so this has to be done manually/auto via an app (lets say syncthing or any other app)

so I thought to get 1:1 cloning of desktop and laptop even when I make changes in either I will setup a 2 way sync that keeps each instance 1:1 and then each time I change anything in either I would manually sync the files, library etc?

does that make any sense or is there a easier way to do this :D :D 

really appreciate your thoughts mattkhan

Z

Correct, it won't sync the files themselves. I would guess that syncing files is easy then it's just a case of manual backup/restore each time you  swap from one machine to another. It seems quite annoying to me. Is this an infrequent event and one machine is primary most of the time or you will be doing it regularly?

Seems like the same thing as requested here btw https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=125201.0

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 12:47:49 am »

Interesting idea, but unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to "automate" synchronization of Views between two MC computers.  A "manual" cross-library restore from backup is the usual recommended way of synchronizing views (though it must be done with some care wrt fixing any required differences in options between the computers).

To copy just a single tab view (or Tree view) across computers, the following 3-step manual procedure can be used:

1) Save the view from Client 1:
Hover over tab menu (or RMB the view in the Tree) > Customize view... > Settings > Saved views > Save this view....
By default, this creates a .jvi file in <user directory> > AppData > Roaming > J River > Media Center 32 > Library > Saved views

2) Use a synchronization tool (or Windows file copy) to copy this .jvi view file to analogous location on Client 2.  Note the file name.

3) Restore the view on Client 2:
Hover over tab menu (or RMB the view in the Tree) > Customize view... > Settings > Saved views > Load a view from file... and select the new .jvi file.   Since Build 32.0.14 (2/8/2024) the default load path is the same as the default save path shown in Step 1).
Alternatively, add as a new Tree view:  Tree RMB Audio > Add Library View.... or View > Add view > Add Library View...

I find procedure 1), 2), 3) to be useful, but don't see a way to fully automate it by just synchronizing files.  A file sync only automates Step 2, and would have to notify the user to follow up with Step 3).

Re-launching MC or using View > Load / Save View do a good job restoring views locally, but I don't know where they get their view data from - Windows registry(?), some mysterious database file(?) - I do know it is not from ... > AppData > ... > Library > Saved Views.  For example, a tab view change on Client 1 cannot be directly detected by Client 2, even when Client 1 saves the change using View > Save View, AFAIK.  Also, the menu item View > Reset All Library Views To Default is of no help here, since when it doesn't hang MC, it just adds a bunch of Start tabs.

New Feature Request:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138692.0.html

References:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130337.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138102.msg957795.html#msg957795[/size]

4/20-21/2024 Edit for clarity, mainly paragraph "Re-launching MC ...".
Pages: [1]   Go Up