INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forced subs not displayed anymore in MC32  (Read 335 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
Forced subs not displayed anymore in MC32
« on: April 21, 2024, 01:37:43 pm »

I can't say when it started to happen, but one of the main use of Bd menus with JRiver is that the forced subs are always played when present.

For some reason, this isn't the case in the latest version of MC32. It worked fine in MC31. I haven't really used the HTPC over the last couple of month, so not sure if it broke or if something is wrong with my settings.

Please could someone test? The Revenant, Black Panther, Avatar, etc...

I am playing 4K UHD Bluray saved in BD Folders in case it matters.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Forced subs not displayed anymore in MC32
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 04:11:54 pm »

Just tested on 32.0.35 with a full UHD BD Folder played using BD Menus.  I'm getting forced subs (not sure if the positioning is correct however)
JRiver CEO Elect

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 01:09:16 pm »

Just tested on 32.0.35 with a full UHD BD Folder played using BD Menus.  I'm getting forced subs (not sure if the positioning is correct however)

Thanks for taking the time to test and report back, but these look like hard burn subs. Can you switch them off, and do they not appear if you play the title in main title mode or with MPC-BE?

I was playing The Revenant (4K UHD BD Folder) and there was no forced subs, which didn't use to be the case with V31.

I'll try more titles (including Avatar), but as far as I can see forced subs aren't played anymore in V32 (at least the latest version, I haven't had time to test any previous V32 version).

Also please make sure you test 4K UHD BD folders, as that's what I would have tested. It could be that it works with other kinds of storage.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 04:32:25 pm »

Yup - the Avatar ones are burnt in.

Here is one from Black Hawk Down (4:15min mark).  They are forced subs and only appear when using the BD Menu and not with Title Playback.  You can also see the two overlays in the JRVR Stats (one for the JRVR Stats, and one is for the Sub - not sure which line relates to what however Edit - it's the bottom line, it comes and goes with the subs).  As mentioned, these are all full UHD BD Folder rips (I have about 300 of these but not Revenant).

JRiver CEO Elect

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 04:44:00 pm »

Thanks again for checking. I’ve just checked with black panther and the forced subs display fine. No idea why they don’t in The Revenant. I’m going to try a few other titles to see if I can find a reason why some forced subs are displayed and others are not.

Quick questions about subs: do you know how to change the brightness of forced subs? It looks like the color settings don’t apply to them and in HDR on a 1,100nits display in a dark room they are blinding. I’d like to see if there is a way to do that before I make a feature request.

Thanks again!

Manni

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 04:49:08 pm »

No probs - let me know of other titles you would like me to test.

I did see some posts from Hendrik (not sure what thread now) about changes to subtitle brightness to better honor the tonemapping settings recently??  I think that was what it was anyway from memory??
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 05:01:29 pm »

... do you know how to change the brightness of forced subs? It looks like the color settings don’t apply to them and in HDR on a 1,100nits display in a dark room they are blinding. I’d like to see if there is a way to do that before I make a feature request.
I think Hendrik is aware of it and plans to fix it.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 05:27:54 pm »

Thank you both re the brightness of subs. It would be great if this could be fixed.

Re forced subs, tried Bourne Identity and the forced subs display fine as well, so not sure what’s wrong with the Revenant. I’ll post back if I find more issues, but otherwise let’s treat it as a one off.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 08:11:41 pm »

No idea why they don’t in The Revenant.

Could be how the UHD version is authored?  Found this post that sound similar. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 12:27:25 am »

Could be how the UHD version is authored?  Found this post that sound similar.

Thanks, that would explain it. I guess that I had enabled the English sub track a long time ago, so it would always display the subs (I use that title often for testing), and then when I installed MC32 it “forgot” the setting so the first time I played it the subs didn’t show and I had to enable them manually.

Mkvs are not a good example though because I was never able to get forced subs to play automatically with mkvs when ripping the main title without doing anything manually, that’s one of the main reasons I use full BD menus (along with the need to keep extras and access them easily).

Thanks again for all your help, it looks like all is fine in MC32!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 01:53:46 am »

Quick questions about subs: do you know how to change the brightness of forced subs? It looks like the color settings don’t apply to them and in HDR on a 1,100nits display in a dark room they are blinding. I’d like to see if there is a way to do that before I make a feature request.

What movies are you experiencing this with?
If the subtitles are HDR themself, they bring their own brightness information and can't really be easily controlled - but if they are SDR subtitles on top of HDR video, then we might need to detect that properly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 02:15:43 am »

What movies are you experiencing this with?
If the subtitles are HDR themself, they bring their own brightness information and can't really be easily controlled - but if they are SDR subtitles on top of HDR video, then we might need to detect that properly.

Every single movie I watch in HDR with subtitles. This is especially painful in dark scenes. I tried to change the subtitles Color in the settings but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I tried The Revenant, Black Panther, Bourne Identity… I watch BD folders with full BD menus in case it matters. My QD OLEd has a 1100nits peak brightness, so I never had such issue with my projector (100nits peak brightness).

EDIT: I watch HDR in HDR passthrough in case it makes a difference.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 02:41:23 am »

Apologies, the HTPC was still on the latest stable (32.0.26) as it's on the stable update channel. I installed 32.0.37 manually and the subs are much better (not blindingly bright), thanks to the changes you made in 32.0.28. Thanks again to @jMone for pointing this to me.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 05:50:30 am »

No Probs - Hendrik has been cranking out the video changes, so it's worthwhile keeping an eye on the change log posted on the updates.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up