INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are "high-end integrated and mid-range GPU cards" for JRVR in 2024?  (Read 466 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

In normal circumstances, I run Media Center on a Windows 11 workstation that has an RTX 3070 GPU, which appears to run fine with a 65" OLED TV using the JRVR 'Quality Preset'.

However, I am now intending to buy a new Windows 11 laptop. This will occasionally be used for MC with a digital projector and I would appreciate some guidance on what GPU specification I should be looking for to get decent JRVR performance. The JRVR Balanced Preset is described as good for "high-end integrated graphics and mid-range dedicated graphics cards", while the Quality Preset is intended for "faster dedicated graphics cards".

My problem is that I don't know how those descriptions translate to the available GPU options in 2024. What currently counts as high-end integrated graphics and mid-range dedicated graphics cards as far as JRVR is concerned?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I think you need to give more detail as it depends what you are trying to achieve

e.g. upscaling dvd to 4k can take quite some horsepower

slerch666

• World Citizen

Most modern GPUs accelerate 4K upscaling, so asking JRiver what is a would detail what "high end" means isn't unreasonable.

Would be nice if there was something in the Wiki that indicated, if you turn on X, you should have a discrete GPU or indicate, expect this kind of hit to system resources for this kind of quality so it is easier to understand what the impact, visual and CPU/GPU, is for the user.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I think you need to give more detail as it depends what you are trying to achieve

e.g. upscaling dvd to 4k can take quite some horsepower

I would only be playing rips of my Blu-rays, but don't have access to a 4K projector and therefore have no need for any upscaling.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

I would only be playing rips of my Blu-rays, but don't have access to a 4K projector and therefore have no need for any upscaling.
So you just playing 1080p content to a 1080p display? Not sure there is much for it to do in that case

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Most modern GPUs accelerate 4K upscaling, so asking JRiver what is a would detail what "high end" means isn't unreasonable.

Would be nice if there was something in the Wiki that indicated, if you turn on X, you should have a discrete GPU or indicate, expect this kind of hit to system resources for this kind of quality so it is easier to understand what the impact, visual and CPU/GPU, is for the user.
I think we'd need to get NASA involved in that.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

So you just playing 1080p content to a 1080p display? Not sure there is much for it to do in that case

I'm no expert on this topic, but the JRVR Wiki mentions a lot more benefits than upscaling. Do those other features make many demands on the GPU?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

I'm no expert on this topic, but the JRVR Wiki mentions a lot more benefits than upscaling. Do those other features make many demands on the GPU?
Yes but if you are playing a Blu-ray on a matching display then they are not relevant so it doesn't matter. playing a uhd, now it matters (tone mapping mainly but also downscaling

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

Yes but if you are playing a Blu-ray on a matching display then they are not relevant so it doesn't matter. playing a uhd, now it matters (tone mapping mainly but also downscaling

So in these circumstances I would see no difference between Red October Standard and Red October JRVR?

If so, it looks like I don't really need anything better than integrated graphics on my new laptop as far as my planned use of MC is concerned. That will save me some money :)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I think we'd need to get NASA involved in that.

It shouldn't be that complicated to provide examples of graphics adapters that meet each of your four categories, i.e. low-end integrated, high-end integrated, mid-range dedicated, and faster dedicated. If nothing else, you could list the graphics adapters that were used when testing JRVR and writing the Quality Preset descriptions that use this categorisation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We don't make hardware recommendations.  There are too many factors to be able to make blanket statements about hardware.

You could learn a lot by reading the other threads about this subject on this board.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

So in these circumstances I would see no difference between Red October Standard and Red October JRVR?
Quite possibly but jrvr is still going to be the one to use.

slerch666

• World Citizen

Maybe it would be difficult to determine GPU impact.

I guess it would be nice if in the Wiki it just said something like if you have an Nvidia XXXX/AMD YYYY (whatever the generational equivalents are), then you are good and able to use all the features at the highest settings.

Hendrik might have an idea of what is reasonable in that regard, or maybe which options are more demanding, but I do think the guidance in the menus isn't as relevant as it was 10-15 years ago given the capabilities of integrated graphics today. It's crazy how good they've gotten.
Especially AMD's work in that space where you can get a NUC size machine that is supposed to have the graphical prowess of an NVidia 1070 in an integrated package.
Pages: [1]   Go Up