Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, Speakers, and Headphones

Audiophile Speakers for Laptop

<< < (4/4)

Michael S.:
I ended up getting AudioEngine HD3's:

https://audioengine.com/shop/factory-refurbished/hd3-wireless-speakers-refurbished/

These are excellent desktop speakers.  Things I like about them:

* sound quality is leaps and bounds better than the basic computer speakers they replaced
* They take up little room on my desk and are small enough to eventually fit into my other computer desk hutch if want to move them off the desk someday
* setup and operation is easy and trouble free
* they have a built in DAC that overrides my laptop's generic sound chip and further improves sound
* they look great with my woodgrain desk and furniture

I took a chance and purchased the refurbished version from AudioEngine.  Normally I am hesitent to buy refurbished but figured there was a better chance of getting a good result coming directly from the company.  The condition is excellent, pristine and indistringuishable from new.  I am a happy AudioEngine customer.

I have no doubt that even better sound is possible but can't imagine matching the quality with anything else for $279.  It might be necessary to spend several times that to achieve a significant and noticeably better result.  I will add a S6 subwoofer at some point to fill out the bass.

My only suggestion for improvement would be for AudioEngine to include a set screw to attach them to the metal stands (they just sit on top of them with no attachment).  Those of us who live in California and experienced earthquakes like Loma Prieta where large, heavy objects flew off shelves have reason to fear what can happen in these situations.  I wrapped my HD3's with velcro ties around the stands and created plastic tie down clips that secure the stands to my desk with removable mounting strips.  My little buddies are safe when the next big quake comes.

Awesome Donkey:
I'm about to pull the trigger on some new studio monitors to go with my new iFi ZEN DAC 3. These are currently my three final contenders (though not set in stone)...

- KRK RP5G5 ROKIT 5 Generation Five
- JBL 306P MKII
- Kali LP-6 V2

I forgot to mention above, but the types of music I listen to are more on the rock and metal spectrum (rock, hard rock, heavy metal, extreme metal/dijent, progressive rock and metal, a little death metal, etc.) with some rap/R&B and pop music. Ideally the monitors I'm looking for should sound "clear", especially when the volume is turned up. I'm generally not really a fan of bass - I like a little bass, but most speakers I've used overdo the bass which, to my ears, distorts the clarity of the music. If I had to think about it, I am more of a fan of treble, only because it makes things sound more "clear" though I also quite like flat.

So... any final thoughts?

Awesome Donkey:
Decided to get the JBL 306P MKIIs after doing comparisons. Should be here in a day or two, I'm excited! :D

mwillems:

--- Quote from: Awesome Donkey on May 30, 2024, 11:19:06 am ---Decided to get the JBL 306P MKIIs after doing comparisons. Should be here in a day or two, I'm excited! :D

--- End quote ---

I hope you enjoy them!  I mentioned up thread that I've got a pair of the 308P's which are very similar and I like them a lot. 

There's a nice review here with a suggestion or two for DSP: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-306p-mk-ii-review-studio-monitor.18505/

Awesome Donkey:
They arrived an hour ago and I initially had issues with lower volume from the left speaker which seems to be either caused by a flaky third-party 4.4mm to XLR balanced adapter cable or because I'm powering the DAC over USB. After messing with it for over 30 minutes I finally got the third party adapter plug in the right position to get it working with both speakers so I went ahead and just ordered both the iFi Power2 AC adapter and the iFi 4.4mm to XLR balanced adapter cable which will be here Sunday. Damn, I was hoping to get away with not having to get either, oh well. I'm also using the Cable Matters XLR cables from Amazon, but I'm also open to alternatives if there's any better ones.

As for the sound after I got both sides working? AMAZING. Applied the recommended 1516Hz EQ via parametric EQ from that topic and no issues whatsoever. I know what I'm doing the rest of the day. :D

EDIT: The iFi power and 4.4mm to XLR cables did the trick and solved the issue I initially encountered. Also applied the PEQ recommendations posted by Maiky76 in that topic. Superb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version