INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: DSP field as a "List (semi-colon delimited)"  (Read 215 times)

Striker

• World Citizen

The audio DSP field when populated with a saved DSP, will switch to that saved named DSP.

It would be nice if the DSP field were a "List (semi-colon delimited)" field and all of the listed DSP's would be applied.

I have so many tracks that need bass management... higher or lower at specified frequencies and some tracks that are so dull they need some high end adjustment.  Sometimes I do these changes with the equalizer and/or the parametric equalizer.

Even with Volume-Leveling... some tracks are OMG louder than others in PlayingNow....  Again, I could have a saved preset to lower volume.

The endless permutations of level changes ... more/less bass... more treble is daunting to manage if each permutation must be saved as an individual saved preset.

If I could have a high-end DSP and multiple bass (more or less) DSP's and a volume lowering DSP and then just combine them as needed, it would be so much easier to manage.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: DSP field as a "List (semi-colon delimited)"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 08:17:08 am »

That sounds tricky to me because each preset contains all the settings for everything.  So there's no way to merge since each preset overwrites everything.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 09:14:40 am »

That sounds tricky to me because each preset contains all the settings for everything.  So there's no way to merge since each preset overwrites everything.

Thanks for the reply.  I hope I explained how the current system is a bit cumbersome and maybe you have some other idea to solve the  almost infinite permutations of DPS presets needed to fully manage a large collection of music.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 09:56:33 am »

Maybe add a new type of "delta" preset that only specifies some of the settings? Then several Deltas could be applied on top of a [mandatory] base preset.

This would pretty much require that all DSP settings have a checkbox for "no change" :-/

To flesh it out a bit more: Delta presets could be specified in an additional [Audio DSP Delta] field. When a track starts the specified preset(s) would be applied; when it stops DSP reverts to the base/default preset, ready for the next track.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:06:18 am »

sounds dangerous as a delta without a cast iron guarantee of the base is a recipe for disaster

I recall asking for a similar feature in the past for much the same reasons (combinatorial explosion in the no of presets to manage)

the way DSP config is stored internally is certainly amenable to this approach

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 10:08:20 am »

You can always have a default DSP preset for when there's none specified.
It's up to the user to adjust the base/Delta to suit their needs, it's not a mandatory feature.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 10:13:30 am »

I'm saying that a delta requires MC to be absolutely bullet proof in adding and removing it otherwise it's going to end badly

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 10:33:58 am »

I'm saying that a delta requires MC to be absolutely bullet proof in adding and removing it otherwise it's going to end badly

I'm glad to read that others understand the difficulty using the current DSP system.

Maybe Matt has some ideas to fit this request in with the current system, or maybe it's time to revamp the whole thing.  Matt knows the code... and what is possible and what is no possible with the current method.

Striker

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 11:18:11 am »

Matt seemed to indicate that with the current code only one saved preset can be applied.

I wonder if multiple presets can be combined into one preset in memory at runtime and then that dynamic single preset be applied?
Pages: [1]   Go Up