INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Saving and Restoring Your Custom Templates in Theater View  (Read 225 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Build 44 allows you to select a custom templates file in Theater View Options.  You can select any file you place in {Library Directory}\Templates.  The pre-MC32 templates file (text-based) is placed there automatically for selection.  This means no more re-importing your backup when there are changes to the default (if you select a different file in Options).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re: Re: Saving and Restoring Your Custom Templates in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 04:16:13 pm »

Build 44 allows you to select a custom templates file in Theater View Options.  You can select any file you place in {Library Directory}\Templates.  The pre-MC32 templates file (text-based) is placed there automatically for selection.  This means no more re-importing your backup when there are changes to the default (if you select a different file in Options).
WHOO-HOO!!! Thank you!!!

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 09:55:36 am »

Thank-you!

I had been manually saving/restoring the templates I prefer (per the very first message on this thread).  It is good to see that functionality take on a more supported aspect.

Thank-you  again!

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 09:56:40 am »

It appears that images are downloaded from themoviedb.org and tmdb.org, stored locally, and served from the MCWS service in MC....

Thanks for the reply.  I have a better understanding of what is occurring now.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 10:48:28 am »

Does that also mean that the work-around mentioned in the very first message of this thread ("...  If you don't want your templates to be overwritten ...") no longer needs to be performed in order to preserve my preference in template selection?

In other words, will my template selection be preserved through both major and minor version upgrades/updates?

=========

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 10:53:22 am »

In other words, will my template selection be preserved through both major and minor version upgrades/updates?

Yes.  It is just another setting that will be carried over.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 11:10:49 am »

Yes.  It is just another setting that will be carried over.

Excellent!

Many thanks to the MC team for this excellent solution.

=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 02:34:40 am »

If I may become a bit reflective at this point....

I use MC, i.e., MC for me is a tool, as a means to convey the digital ones and zeroes that reside on my data server (and elsewhere) to my senses for enjoyment.

So, when I use, e.g., Theater view, my first concern is experiencing what I want to experience.

That is why the new Theater view was so shocking.

My carefully crafted info panels disappeared.

It reminded me of two experiences I've had:

1) Apple iTunes - when Apple overrode my info settings in the playback. (a main reason why I went looking elsewhere and found JR's MC)

2) Microsoft, trying to make an operating system a product, i.e., trying to make Windows a product I want, instead of saying it is the means to what I want to do with computers.

OK, now, I'm back to MC.

What do I want from MC?

1) Please play my digital files correctly.

2) To repeat,  please play my digital files correctly.

In my experience, MC excels in that desire.

So, imo, stop trying to make MC the product I want.

Make it the means I want to use to enjoy my digital files.

To that end I, again, extend my many thanks for the ability to preserve text-oriented info pages.
=========

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Saving and Restoring Your Custom Templates in Theater View
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 04:00:20 am »

antenna,
You've made this complaint more than once before, and I replied that you were modifying files that were part of MC.  You should not be surprised if we also modify them.

Changes may sometimes disappoint, but changes are necessary to keep MC up-to-date.

No change is not an option.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 02:28:16 pm »

Hello and thank you all for your hard work in making JRiver the best Mediaplayer.

I have during several years heavily modified my theater view and list views and are now wondering if I too have been modifying parts that were part of the stock MC.
I'm not  a coder per se and I have been modifying the templates with guidance from several more knowledge forum members than myself.

With that said, if you look at the attached picture.
Have I modified the stock MC? And if so, how do I do to create a template that are not stock and will not be changed when I upgrade to MC32.

Best regards,

//arcspin
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 03:08:49 pm »

Anything you do in MC settings should be safe.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 12:23:46 pm »

antenna,
You've made this complaint more than once before, and I replied that you were modifying files that were part of MC.  You should not be surprised if we also modify them.

Changes may sometimes disappoint, but changes are necessary to keep MC up-to-date.

No change is not an option.

Thanks for the reply.

The changes I had made were in the Options>Theater View>Customize File Info Panel  setting area

I would expect that to be in the category of "User Settings."

I agree change is needed, but wiping out user settings is not something I think is good.

Speaking of  change, thanks for the change that preserves my template settings in version 44 and higher.

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up