INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source number of Channels  (Read 245 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Source number of Channels
« on: June 22, 2024, 10:17:08 am »

Hello all. In the options page for Audio, In the DSP studio, there is a choice for channels.
I always want to to stay on "source number". But we will be playing a movie and we notice no surround, so we go look and it has switched to 2 channels Stereo. We switch it back to "source number..." and all is well, than later on with other media it has switched back to stereo again by itself. I can't figure out why it does that. Any ideas on how to lock it to "Source number", and not "stereo"

Thanks

Don

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Source number of Channels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 10:33:05 am »

You might check the option:
Options > Audio > Advanced > Auto configure output settings on playback error

With that set on the program might automatically switch to 2 channel mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 12:04:32 pm »

I have had the same problem for a long time and also asked for a solution to have source number of channels always selected.
I hope there will be a solution or at least a way in theater mode to see the channel count.

Thanks
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 12:48:39 pm »

Does using a separate zone for videos/movies not fix this (along with zoneswitch)?

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 01:01:55 pm »

This is my problem regarding source number of channels.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,133924.msg927704.html#msg927704
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 03:51:53 pm »

If I remember correctly, if you set the number of channels to how many actual speakers you have, it will play everything correctly in correlation to the channels in the track. 

In other words, Don't select "Source number of channels".  Select your speaker configuration and choose "No upmixing or downmixing" or JRSS mixing.  Should work.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 05:06:42 pm »

Good advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 11:17:15 am »

I tried the suggested method but JRiver keeps setting channels to 2 channels (stereo) when playing JRiver on my computer screen that has a stereo setup.
Even though I set JRiver to 7.1 Speakers with no mixing.

When I set speaker to 7.1 as is my channel count and play a 5.1 movie, JRiver converts 5.1 to 7.1.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 12:07:24 pm »

Uncheck "Detect stereo sources in surround (pseudo surround).

Also, if playing on your computer which only has stereo, why are you selecting 7.1?  Maybe I've misunderstood you there.

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 01:01:23 pm »

My setup is as follow.

From my computer I have:
-Displayport to computer screen with built in stereo speakers
-HDMI to Surround processor (AVM 70) to projector

When playing a "5.1/7.1 movie" from the computer to my computer screen the channels change from source number of channels to 2 channels stereo.
When I turn on my surround processor (and windows sound output changes from computer screen to AVM 70) and play a "5.1/7.1 movie" the channels are still at 2 channel stereo.

I have to manually go into JRiver and change, in DSP Studio, from 2 channel stereo to source number of channels to get the surround sound sent correctly to the AVM 70.

Is there a way to have a zone that change the channels depending on the windows sound output?

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 01:36:30 pm »

I thought it was just me. I have had the problem for years.

We have a 13.2 system, and when the signal is stereo the receiver goes into a DTS-X mode where all 13 speakers get some sort of signal. Music is great in that mode. But the simulation can fool you into thinking a movie is in surround. Then something you hear makes you think something isn't right, so you stop the movie and look and sure enough it has changed back to 2 channels and the receiver is faking it. I reset it to source number and we are back in surround (and Atmos) glory. I have never figured out what does it. I thought I would ask if I could just lock it in as source.

I do get messages that my output doesn't support what I am playing and would I like to autoconfigure, I never say yes. And of course it doesn't play.
I do not want to muddy the waters but related to this i have problems playing multichannel movies. It all has to do with the "Bit streaming" setting. Sometimes I have to use HDMI, sometime I have to use disabled. Some simple shows will not play if it is set to enabled, but atmos doesn't work unless it is set to hdmi.
So we have to check it all over before every movie if it is important or we have friends who we wan to show the Atmos to. Oops it isn't on, Just a sec,  (stop movie enable hdmi bit streaming restart movie.)

I play a lot of music with the same machine. Quite often DTS files won't play until I toggle bit streaming. I wish I understood its function better.

Don

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2024, 01:55:02 pm »

I thought it was just me. I have had the problem for years.

Then something you hear makes you think something isn't right, so you stop the movie and look and sure enough it has changed back to 2 channels and the receiver is faking it. I reset it to source number and we are back in surround (and Atmos) glory.

Yes, this is super annoying. Having to dubbelcheck DSP Studio before starting a movie.

One suggestion I have had is that JRiver always reverts back to "Source number of channels" when a source is stopped playing.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:26:21 am »

Possibly related, but in Windows for me - for years now - the Sound control panel and nVidia sound driver, always on reboot of the PC, reset my channels to 2 channel stereo.  I have to go back in after a reboot and reconfigure for a 7.1 setup.

Don't know why this happens, but it is sure annoying and has nothing to do with Media Center or any other app.  Just  simple reboot and it happens.  This is accessed from:

Sound (Control Panel) -> Marantz AVR (nVidia High Definition Sound) -> Configure, where it will show "Stereo" and I think need to re-select "7.1...."

Now Media Center never changes my setting in DSP studio - it's always "Source Number of Channels" for my Marantz Zone, regardless of that Sound control panel setting.  Games on the other hand are always affected.  Note to the Marantz I always bitstream audio so perhaps there's a difference there as well.  For my USB DAC and associated zones, none of this matters.  Since it bypasses the nVidia driver, the control panel app, and the Marantz and uses the ASIO provided driver from exaSound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up