INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to Start MC with Remote  (Read 303 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Trying to Start MC with Remote
« on: June 16, 2024, 02:44:11 pm »

I have a new SofaBaton X1S remote, and would like to be able to start MC with it, instead of using the keyboard/mouse. Once in MC, I can of course control it with the remote, but I cannot start the program with an infrared signal. I have reviewed the FAQ, and the information from Version 14 days about how to set up MC for using a remote. The Options/Remote dialog box does not give any ways I can find to start the program with a remote, and even assigning "Green Button" to a SofaBaton remote button does not cause MC to start when that is pressed. MediaServer is activated at computer startup.
Is there any way to use infrared to start MC these days? If so, does anyone have experience getting SofaBaton remote to do that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trying to Start MC with Remote
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 01:07:43 am »

The Media Center Remote (hardware) is still supported.  I use it almost every day.

Do you have an IR receiver?  Test it with an ordinary MC Remote, if you have one.

If you're running Media Server on Windows Start, that is a small foot-print version of JRiver Media Center, so it is already running.  It should show up in Task Manager.

Are you logged into Windows?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 08:20:17 am »

The Media Center Remote (hardware) is still supported.  I use it almost every day.

Do you have an IR receiver?  Test it with an ordinary MC Remote, if you have one.

If you're running Media Server on Windows Start, that is a small foot-print version of JRiver Media Center, so it is already running.  It should show up in Task Manager.

Are you logged into Windows?

I am logged into Windows (is it even possible to use Win11 without being logged in?)
I have an IR receiver on my Media Center PC. I have tested it with MC remote; MC does not start with the Green Button. I had an IR keyboard, with which I had programmed a button on a Harmony remote to send "WIN+1" keystrokes, and that would start MC, because I had placed MC in position #1 on my taskbar. But now, that causes MC to run minimized only, rather than in Theater View (it starts in Theater View when I start MC with the keyboard/mouse).

My Sofabaton X1S speaks Bluetooth, so I found a way around the fact that MC 32 won't respond to IR commands from the X1S... I have the X1S buttons send Bluetooth keyboard commands. However, there's no way I have yet found to send even a Bluetooth command from the X1S to get MC 32 to start (the Windows key is not part of the profile the X1S knows).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 09:02:08 am »

I have an IR receiver on my Media Center PC. I have tested it with MC remote; MC does not start with the Green Button.
If Media Server is running, it should.  Go back to the wiki and read about ehome in the Media Center Remote setup.  WMC software can interfere.  You can disable it in MC.

There are some IR receivers that won't work.  Does it have RC6 on its label?  Google RC6.

Similar problem discussed here:  https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14421

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 02:40:22 pm »

If Media Server is running, it should.  Go back to the wiki and read about ehome in the Media Center Remote setup.  WMC software can interfere.  You can disable it in MC.

There are some IR receivers that won't work.  Does it have RC6 on its label?  Google RC6.

Similar problem discussed here:  https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14421
Thanks. No WMC software; it's a Windows 11 OS. No RC6 label; Harmony remote, and SofaBaton X1S remote. Have tried both settings on the toggle in MC Options to disable WMC, even though it's not applicable on this OS.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 03:24:00 pm »

If the receiver isn't RC6, then a standard MC Remote won't work.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2024, 10:35:25 am »

If the receiver isn't RC6, then a standard MC Remote won't work.
That's interesting. Since this same IR receiver in this same computer worked until recently, perhaps I am incorrect about its RC6 characteristic. Regardless, it worked for starting MC (perhaps v 21 through 31), and now it does not work for starting MC version 32.
Pages: [1]   Go Up