INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Touch Of Anarchy  (Read 1648 times)

Topper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
A Touch Of Anarchy
« on: February 04, 2003, 06:31:36 am »

Previously posted on MJ8 board by mistake.

Am I the only one who thinks that this board has suffered from a little anarchy in recent weeks. It seems that every time I check out the board there is one or more "Feature Requests" posts that have been added. Often these aren't little tweaks to an existing function but either new features or complete reworkings of an existing feature. This practise has become more evident during the beta phase where people are jockeying for position and pushing agenda's to get the feature that they particularly want.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to censor anyone and good features do come out of other peoples suggestions but I do believe that there are times when the constant demands for new features and overhauls distracts from the current beta tests.

There is a wish list but it does seem to be underused and it does concern me that others who have put ideas to the wishlist may be ignored due to the clamouring on the main board. Is there not some way that use of the wishlist board can be enforced perhaps with a time limit on a wish. When the time expires JRiver tally the votes and if they decided it's wanted or viable it's moved onto a new board so that all the details can be thrashed out.

Sorry if this has been a little long winded or if it's offended anyone but it's my understanding that this is our forum and so it's up to us what we make of it.

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: A Touch Of Anarchy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 09:50:29 am »

That's what Interact BETA is all about...

* Getting new ideas into a product to makew it better.
* Resolving current bugs.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 10:02:04 am »

>> There is a wish list but it does seem to be underused
I don't like the wish list

I Also don't ask for much (I don't think)

I think what would be better is to scrap the wish list, and have a wish list forum.

this way if somone had an Idea users could add to it and maybe just maybe J river could say "Good Idea" or "Don't Think So"

I do think The MJ8 forum will vanish shortly and then we should have

1. MJ9\MC9 Forum
2. MJ10\MC10 Beta Forum
3. Wish List (Maybe)
4. E-music etc...
5. 3rd Party Plugins & Development

Or

1. MJ9\MC9 Forum
2. MJ10\MC10 Beta & Wish List Forum
3. E-music etc...
4. 3rd Party Plugins & Development

People are always going to add wish list items in the forum and i don't think it would be right to bend them over JimH's Saw Horse And flog them.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 10:50:25 am »

I don't like the wish list

Yeah me too. The thing I like about the board is that the community can use it to refine someones suggestion into a really good one. Witness the IPod threads. The downside that sometimes suggestions separate into 2 or more camps, which cannot make things any easier for JRiver. Or we get repeated similar suggestions in different threads. Matts head must really spin sometimes. Witness the 'toggle list style' threads - most people obviously want this, but in exactly what way? Wish lists arent going to help here.

The main advantage I can see for a wishlist would be an indication that JRiver have agreed to build a 'wish' into future versions. Then we can all shut up about it. But it aint gonna happen.

Its true that its sometimes difficult to separate beta posts from RFEs or from OTs or from 'help!' threads. But if it was easy to pick them out Id have no excuse not to do some real work... :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 10:53:11 am »

The thing I like about the board is that the community can use it to refine someones suggestion.

Right On, Brother
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 10:57:50 am »

I've had exactly the same thoughts as Topper - and I think King's ideas are really good.

It would be better to make the wish list a interactive thing. Still we would probably get crossover stuff with folks posting wishes in the other forum, hoping it will get more attention from River guys than posting in the wish list forum.

As long as JimH and co. do not object to this, I interpret it is ok with them. And actually I don't consider this interact as "our" forum. JimH provide the space and oppurtunity for us, and also makes the ground rules.

So when the godfather and his gang don't ask us to post it in the wish list instead, it must be ok.

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 01:51:00 pm »

I agree with Topper, also.  Instead of adding features from other jukebox apps, I would rather the MJ/MC team spend their time bug-fixing and tweaking and fine-tuning it's existing features until MC is rock-solid stable.

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 03:21:56 pm »

it's moved onto a new board so that all the details can be thrashed out.

Could make this a sticky topic that doesn't get buried. People 'wishing for something', could then be poliltely asked to post all wishes there instead of cluttering up the board. It wouldn't get lost and if you wanted to pipe in you would know right where to look.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 09:30:23 pm »

II agree wholeheartedly with the priority of getting basic functions rock-solid before any tweaks are added.

I'd also like to see a list of the bugs that JRiver are working on. I've had three major problems for about a month that I've continually reported on but I have'nt a clue when and if they'll get looked at. If I know they're not going to happen, then I can stop wasting time and go to another jukebox now. As one of them has stopped me burning cd's, I'm having to use adaptec and seriously getting fed up with waiting...

I understand this is beta software, but surely the priority has to be on getting basic functions on all platforms working correctly before time is spent on prettying up the extras.

Jim

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 09:29:26 am »

I agree that for some reason wish list does not work at all.

Maybe there should be different threads for
1) bugs
2) wishes
3) general discussion: questions, tips, meaning of life...

this way, instead of repeating a bug report, you can just update the thread by indicating that it is still an issue in the current beta.

This would make following up a bug easier as well. Since there is a single Beta thread right now, whenever I post a bug there, I have difficulty following it up if someone adds a comment to it. I try to spend time to report bugs, but I don't have time to read all bug posts. Also, if you have a seperate group for bugs, it gets easier for people to attach comments to related bugs rather than posting a new bug.

An alternative is to use something like bugzilla for bug tracking.

Pages: [1]   Go Up