INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: slow "browsing" performance  (Read 1435 times)

gybe77

• nothing more to say...
slow "browsing" performance
« on: February 03, 2003, 09:08:36 am »

newbie here.. whenever i go into my main music folder, it gives me the "please wait - gathering information and updating view." dialog box for a very long time.. is there a way to speed this up? thx.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: slow "browsing" performance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 10:13:41 am »

Importing and then using "Media Library" will be much faster than always using "My Computer."   "My Computer" must read from the hard drive, but "Media Library" doesn't.

Can that work for you?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gybe77

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 10:22:56 am »

thx for the reply.. true, that would be the way to go-- i'll work to access my files that way from now on.. but why does it take so long to read folders? i dont think its a matter of the hard drive but of how the program goes about accessing the info? is this something that can be improved in future builds?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 10:34:59 am »

i dont think its a matter of the hard drive but of how the program goes about accessing the info? is this something that can be improved in future builds?

The first time it reads the file, it needs to parse out all the tag information, and that takes some time.

After that, it should be pretty fast because the information is cached in the DB until it expires after like a week of not being accessed.

Is it slow just the first time, or always?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 11:34:40 am »

I reported this somewhere..maybe it's still in my head.. but when even maximizing/restoring the main window, it takes forever.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 11:46:25 am »

Do you have visualizations on?  Anything you can add to help us see the problem?

dragyn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 12:14:08 pm »

I was viewing Network Places at the time. I know it definately wont be as fast as a local drive but when I just maximized the window, it had to reupdate everything again.

I also noticed that MJ8 is a lot faster at importing files. When MC9 first came out, it would take at least 3 times longer.

Another thing is when locating a UNC file from Media Library into "My Computer", MC will lock up. Have to kill the process and restart.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2003, 12:42:19 pm »

Can you take the networking out of the equation to see if some of the problems go away?

gybe77

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2003, 04:10:53 pm »

matt: it's slow each time i try to access a folder.. anda s an fyi-- no visualizations and nothing i can think of that would obviously slow down the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up