INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR HDR black flash [Solved]  (Read 757 times)

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
JRVR HDR black flash [Solved]
« on: June 25, 2024, 04:26:57 pm »

Here's an example video of my issue. If I mouse over the window to pull up the OSD while an HDR movie is playing, the screen will flicker black. And, it's not the display itself, as I can pull up it's OSD no problem, as well as audio still working through it.

I'm not using any AVR or anything like that, just straight HDMI to the monitor from my RTX 4090 and usually playing audio with my headphones hooked up through USB.

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRVR HDR black flash
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 06:50:09 pm »

Update, it looks like if I disable "Use the display's HDR capability for HDR videos (if available)", it fixes this, but of course it's not going to output the video in HDR. The odd thing is, if I enable HDR in Windows beforehand and load the video up with that disabled, my monitor is still in HDR mode, but the issue doesn't occur, it's only when JRiver is outputting HDR does it happen. Another thing I noticed is that after it flashes (such as when the OSD is up), it's still outputting the correct HDR image no problem, so it's not flicking in and out of HDR mode or anything like that.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 07:00:54 pm »

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing to be done about that on our side. Windows decides to change the output mode when something overlays over the video, as it changes the rendering mode when it no longer has a sole single window to render.
It does not happen for me like that, which could depend on the screen itself, or which version of Windows you are running, or some other parameters. HDR behavior was much improved in Windows 11, for example, compared to Windows 10.

Additionally, if for some reason you turned off "Multi Plane Overlay" (MPO) in your OS, having that enabled might also help prevent that problem. But MPO is a bit limited especially when you have multiple monitors, and seems to only be active on the primary monitor. I'm told this is actually improving in the forthcoming Windows 11 update later this year (24H2)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bogdanbz

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 11:38:37 am »

I use Windows 10 and something like that never happens. The display stays in HDR mode when hovering over the top bar area.

The desktop is normally in SDR mode, and I'm using a RTX 4090 video card as well, although very old drivers (I don't keep them up to date as I don't really see the need to). I just checked and I notice I have drivers version 537.58.

Maybe it's how you use your TV? Mine is connected with the TV HDMI port in PC mode, and I force in the Nvidia Control panel 10 bit all the time (which means even in SDR mode), and full RGB output. I even use 120Hz as the refresh rate (since the TV is connected over a HDMI 2.1 port). I have JRVR configured to output 10 bit even in SDR mode as well) it's a setting in the JRVR config dialog.

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2024, 02:23:39 pm »

Returned my Samsung G8 OLED because of another issue, and this doesn't happen on my new monitor (Asus PG32UCDP). Weird, but I'm not complaining.
Pages: [1]   Go Up