INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Filenames shortened when syncing to other device  (Read 185 times)

lightningbit

• Recent member
  • I am .... Just me.....
Long Filenames shortened when syncing to other device
« on: August 11, 2024, 11:42:08 am »

Hi,

I'm struggling with the following... I'm not sure if it is a bug or if it is expected behavior.

Using MC33 for windows,
I've my whole music collection on a windows NTFS formatted drive
no problems with long filenames and a deep folder structure there.
Using the sync feature in MC, I'm syncing the whole collection to my NAS (QNAP, so linux based).
(Why the sync features, it allows me to change the structure of paths and filenames where needed, as well as export the playlists correctly for my streaming server)

Some filenames end up on the NAS shortened, with 3 dots at the end, before the file extension.
But, when I copy the file manually into the same folder on the nas via windows, there is no problem.

The shortened filename would not be a problem, if it would be listed correctly in the exported m3u playlist, however
Inside the exported playlists, that filename also seem to shortened, BUT instead of the 3 dots, it puts a non printable character (in Notepad++ it shows like "x85" on a black background)
So the streaming software cannot find that specific file when it is loading the playlist.

Example:

From this example, the total length of path + filename on the windows drive is 237 chars
Code: [Select]
D:\MusicBase\Collections\My F Soundtracks\The Greatest Songs of the Musicals 2_ Hits of the Stage and Screen\The Greatest Songs of the Musicals 2_ Hits of the Stage and Screen - 02 - A Little Priest - Imelda Staunton and Michael Ball.mp3
Some extra info:
- the m3u files are exported with the following setting in MC: "M3U (Relative paths without leading dot)"
- on the nas,
the total length of the filename + path of the synced filename is 274 chars
the total length of the filename + path of the manually copied filename is 277 chars
so it does not seem to be related towards the old 255 char limit

Any idea how this can be fixed?
a) fix the sync feature, so it synchronizes the full path and filename
or
b) fix the export of the m3u playlist files (in text format) with the exact filename and path and without the non-printable chars.

Thanks,

L.

Pages: [1]   Go Up