INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Low Level Distortion with 24/192 files  (Read 1462 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Getting Low Level Distortion with 24/192 files
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:24:04 pm »

Really strange: When I play 24/192 files over DLNA (MacMini to Oppo 205), I get terrible low-level distortion, but when I play them locally (MacMini direct to AVR), there's no problem at all. 24/96 plays fine. Is it just too much bandwidth for DLNA to handle? I've never had this issue before!

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Getting Low Level Distortion with 24/192 files
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:50:24 pm »

UPDATE:

I found a fix, but I don't understand why. In Tools>Media Network>Add or Configure DLNA Servers>Audio I changed Mode from "Original" to "Specified Output Format" and selected PCM 24-Bit. Now there is no distortion when playing back 24/192 files.

Does this mean all files (including 16/44.1) are getting upsampled to 24-bit?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand all of this!

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 11:00:35 pm »

I'm bumping this years later. I'm still having this issue. The problem with the fix I stated above is that now native DSD files won't play via DLNA if I change Mode from "Original" to "Specified Output Format" and select PCM 24-Bit. Is there a fix for this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2024, 12:09:38 am »

You need to specify a conversion that your device supports.  WAV might work.  FLAC probably.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2024, 12:19:01 am »

Thanks Jim, but I was hoping to play DSD files natively, rather than convert them to PCM.

The strange thing is that this distortion only happens with SOME 24/192 files, not all. I’m going to try to figure out what is different about the affected files.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2024, 10:35:53 am »

I can’t for the life of me figure out why some 24/192 fils play fine over DLNA and some are a garbled mess. All the stereo files in my library are in ALAC format. The strange thing is, when I play a problematic track but in FLAC, it plays fine!

Note: this is only over DLNA. Playing directly from my Mac Mini to my Pre/Pro via HDMI is fine.

Any thoughts?

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2024, 01:23:49 pm »

Ok, I think I fixed it. In Tools>Media Network>Add or Configure DLNA Servers>Audio I changed Mode from "Original" to "Specified Output Format Only When Necessary" and selected PCM 24-Bit. The missing piece was under Advanced, I clicked on "Audio formats to convert". By default, WAV; Wv; FLAC was selected. I added .m4a (which is the format for all my ALAC files), and now the 24/192 files are no longer garbled. And the DSD files play natively.

I'm probably talking to myself on this thread, but if anyone has had a similar issue, there's your fix.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2024, 03:26:59 pm »

DSD isn't part of the DLNA standard.  Your device may also not support it.

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2024, 03:49:56 pm »

My Marantz Pre/Pro does support DSD. When I play a DSD file, I get a satisfying "click" from the unit and the info screen switches from PCM to DSD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up