INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pan & Zoom Image Rendering Problem  (Read 908 times)

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
Pan & Zoom Image Rendering Problem
« on: September 15, 2024, 11:43:35 pm »

Hey - long time no post.

I have noticed an image rendering problem in Media Center that began sometime between MC26 and MC31.
When viewing a slideshow of images with Pan & Zoom on, there is mis-rendering problem.

I've posted a video on YouTube that illustrates the issue better than any description - https://youtu.be/JSXOGIBJgVw
Also attached is the System Info output and a Playback Settings screenshot.

That video compares the rendering between of the same images, on the same PC - MC33 (faulty) and MC26 (fine)
This problem duplicates on a variety of PCs (MC is installed on 5 in our house) with assorted graphics hardware, laptops, desktops, all-in-ones - always the same problem.

This problem first arose (for me) with MC31 and I thought that I would just wait for MC33 and it would likely be fixed. But the issue continues.

I use MC to present on occasion and for visual fill in presentation breaks - and I need this to be right.

So, I'm reverting to MC26 again and hoping for a fix soon.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Pan & Zoom Image Rendering Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2024, 06:27:32 pm »

Not sure what I was expecting.
Well, actually, I sort of thought that this issue could just be fixed, since it only began after MC26.

I guess I figured that there'd be a response at least, or that some sort of minimal acknowledgment might be order.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2024, 06:39:57 pm »

I couldn't reproduce.  I was wondering if anyone else would chime in, but nobody ever did.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2024, 07:02:16 pm »

If I had seen your original post at the time, I would've jumped in.  Better late than never I guess.

I am so glad somebody has finally posted this issue - and yes, your video demonstrates the problem quite nicely.  This has been driving me nuts for years and I am surprised nobody has ever posted about it before.  I never have because I assumed either no one cared, or it was an issue on just my machine.

I upgrade MC every year, and it seems like this has been around for quite some time.  Honestly, I feel like it started long before MC 26, but take your word for it that version does not exhibit the same "image doubling/reverse zooming" behavior.

Hopefully more people will chime in and say "yes, I see the same issue and have just lived with it" and this will finally get resolved!  As it is now, it makes slideshows borderline unwatchable.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2024, 07:13:46 pm »

Matt, I am guessing you cannot reproduce because it generally works fine so long as you never manually intervene during a slideshow.  For example, I have MC set to allow zooming on mouse scroll.  After I zoom in on a particular slide, I then have to press the play button to restart the slideshow (since I have Stop Slideshow on Manual Changes checkbox ticked).  It is after doing this that the double image/reverse zooming thing starts to happen.

Try zooming in during the slideshow and see if you then start to see the same thing.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2024, 02:38:33 am »

I'm reconfiguring a PC for a friend, so I did a quick install of MC 31 and 33.
Sure enough  - same problem effect as always on both those versions.
MC26, as always, is again fine on the same machine.

I am unable to NOT duplicate the problem.

As I mentioned above, I've tried a variety of PCs with assorted graphics hardware & configs, my wife's work laptop, my laptop, desktops, old machines, new machines, all-in-ones, you name it  - always the same problem as illustrated in the video at https://youtu.be/JSXOGIBJgVw

Occurs reliably when playing a slide show of images with pan & Zoom on.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2024, 11:53:04 am »

Hey Matt, were you ever able to reproduce this issue by manually panning/zooming the image?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2024, 11:56:48 am »

Please test the latest beta.  Thanks.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2024, 12:41:49 pm »

posted my feedback on the beta 33.0.29 thread

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2024, 12:42:17 am »

Out of town right now, Matt. Will check upon return.
2 Things...
 - where is the latest beta?... and
- where is the 33.0.29 beta thread?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2024, 01:09:03 am »

Betas aren't publicly available, but they move to the MC33 board regularly. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2024, 12:55:03 pm »

Should be public now.  Testing appreciated.  Thanks.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2024, 03:18:21 pm »

Hey Matt, I did test it after you applied your initial fix and posted what I found on the 33.0.29 beta thread. While your fix does address the double image/reverse zooming issue, it also created new problems that in some ways are worse.  Especially if you pause the slide show.  Below I am copying/pasting what I had posted that I found during my testing:
_______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________

I did multiple slideshow sessions and it seems to be mostly working now - as in no more overlaid/double image with zooming in opposite directions… Nice job Matt.  It did show a double image once (only) - not sure why, as I was zooming/panning around the whole time and only once did the double image occur.  Did multiple more sessions and it did not happen again.

A couple of things to note regarding the checkbox for Stop Slideshow on Manual Changes:
- manual pan slideshow continues whether the checkbox is ticked or not
- manual zoom slideshow stops whether the checkbox is ticked or not
- standard playing now window slideshow paused: manual pan image disappears - LMB on display brings it back.  Each next/previous shows image briefly, but then disappears.
- display view slideshow paused: manual pan image disappears - LMB on display brings it back.  Each next/previous shows the images normally.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2024, 07:53:34 pm »

- standard playing now window slideshow paused: manual pan image disappears - LMB on display brings it back.  Each next/previous shows image briefly, but then disappears.
- display view slideshow paused: manual pan image disappears - LMB on display brings it back.  Each next/previous shows the images normally.[/color]

Can you expand on these ones?  What is "manual pan image"?  Thanks.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2024, 08:27:10 pm »

Manual Pan = LMB image and hold down to drag the image from side to side

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2024, 01:10:05 am »

Try using numbers to zoom in and out.  It zooms to the cursor location. 

2 is a little
9 is a lot
1 is no zoom

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2024, 02:55:12 pm »

I use my mouse scroll wheel to zoom in/out which is far more convenient than using the numeric keypad.  In any event, zooming is not the issue.  It is panning. 

When a slideshow is paused, left click and hold on the image and then drag in any direction - the slide will disappear as soon as you release the LMB.  Next, zoom in on a slide (via scrolling or numeric keypad), pan the image (LMB+hold down) - then release the LMB - the slide does NOT disappear (while zoomed).  But then click the next/previous button in the Player Bar - the image will show very briefly and then disappear.  This happens for every subsequent next/previous click.  It also does not matter if you invoke the next/previous slide via the Player Bar transport buttons, or via the keyboard arrow keys - the slide will briefly show and then disappear.

It only occurs when slideshows are paused, and when you are using Standard View, Cover Art View, and Detached Display View (which are the views I use - I don't like/use Theater View).  In display view, it does behave (mostly) correctly (slide does not disappear after clicking next/previous), but if you manually pan an un-zoomed view and then release the LMB, the slide will disappear.

if others could please follow the steps above and confirm that this is indeed what is happening, I would most appreciate it.  It is 100% repeatable on my end.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2024, 03:13:15 pm »

Thanks for all the help.  I've tried to get some of your reports.  Testing and feedback appreciated when the next build ships.  Thanks again.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2024, 05:42:45 pm »

Thanks for sticking with this one Matt - I look forward to your fixes and testing them out.

Since this thread is regarding MC image functionality, I have another question, but not related to this specific issue.  I was wondering about the checkbox for: Display images using a 2D renderer (in development, experimental)

This setting has been "in development" and "experimental" for many many years now (10 maybe?).  I occasionally check that box to see if anything different happens, and if something is indeed different, I have no idea what it is.  I assume this must be essentially an orphan setting.  If it is not, what's it supposed to do? If it is actually "active", at what point will it no longer be "in development and experimental"?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2024, 05:59:26 pm »

We needed the 2D rendering for platforms outside Windows.  There's not really a reason to pick it on Windows.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2024, 06:11:18 pm »

Ahhh..... Okay.  Thanks for explaining. 

Maybe "in development, experimental" should be changed to "for use on non-Windows platforms only" so all us Windows users don't bother playing with the setting and trying to figure out what it does!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up