INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitec Cordless Access Keyboard help  (Read 1047 times)

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
Logitec Cordless Access Keyboard help
« on: January 18, 2003, 01:50:31 pm »

When I press the media key on the keyboard, it comes up with a dialog stating the media players that it sees on my system, but no MJ :( .  Using the latest version of the keyboard software from Logitech (iTouch 2.15).  Any advice?  Thanks all!

phatrabt

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Logitec Cordless Access Keyboard help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 01:58:41 pm »

Try a search here for logitech.  I've forgotten the name of the logitech file, but you can add an entry for MJ.  keyboard.ini ?

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 02:47:11 pm »

Searched for the post and found the players.ini file.  Put the string in that was given but still no MJ in the player select dialog.  Any other ideas Jim?  Thanks!

phatrabt

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 12:36:47 pm »

I find the logitech keyboard software is sometimes flaky. Did you reboot already?  Try the keypress again and see if it works...

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 08:54:39 pm »

I've tried all that.  It's just not showing up in the menu when I press the Media key.  I would love to hear more suggestions!

phatrabt

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 08:18:54 am »

I noticed this problem before, but since the other buttons on my Logitech keyboard (incl play/pause, volume, fwd, back, stop, mute, back, search, scroll, email, and Home) all work fine, even when MJ does not have "focus", I haven't worried about it.  And note, I have no Logitech software on my PC.

I believe this Media key problem is due to the fact that XP does not recognize MJ as a Media Player.  This is different from the File Type associations (for things like .mp3 and .jpg)  Look at the Set Program Access and Defaults screen in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel in XP SP1.  When I click on Custom, MJ is not listed as a Media Player.  Only WMP is listed, and pressing the Media key launches WMP.

My guess is that if MJ can get listed on install (and MJ is selected as the default media player), the Media key will work.  Downloading new Logitech software and editing their .ini files probably works for some people, but getting XP to see MJ as a Media Player is a more elegant solution.

Also, on the Logitech website, they list about 18 media applications that its keyboard software supports, but not MJ.  I suggest that J River contact them to be included in all future software.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=downloads/software&CRID=310&contentid=5055&countryid=19&languageid=1

smackbadger

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 06:36:04 pm »

Getting Media Center/Jukebox to show up when you press the Media key takes the previously mentioned edits to the players.ini file and a little bit of registry hacking. (I found the keys to the solution in this thread http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=4994)

In the players.ini file, you need an entry like the following:

MediaCenter=cmd,MediaCenter.exe,MJFrame,xxx,xxx,32778,32778,32780,32781,32782,0,1,Media Center

There is still a problem, because windows has no idea where to find MediaCenter.exe as you've listed it.  This is where the registry hacking comes in.  You need to add a new key under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/App Paths/ named MediaCenter.exe.  The default key needs to be the complete path to MediaCenter/Jukebox.  You also need to add a new key called Path with only the path to MediaCenter/Jukebox.

To make this easier, you can cut & paste the folllowing code into notepad, edit the path and executable names as needed, and save it as a .reg file (Type=All Files).  Then double-click on the .reg file and agree to the dialog box.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MediaCenter.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Media Center\\Media Center.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Media Center\\"

If you restart Itouch.exe after making all these changes and hit the Media Key, you should see an entry with the name "JRiver Media Core 9.0" if you're using Media Center 9.  If you select this entry, the play key will now start MediaCenter.  However, there is an annyoing side-effect.  Every time you hit the Play/Pause key the MediaCenter window is brought to the front and is also restored if you previously had it minimized...

These registry keys seem to define an alias MediaCenter.exe that points to the real location of the executable for all windows operations.  For example, you can do Start->Run and simply type MediaCenter.exe to start MediaCenter.

I wonder if MediaCenter should be creating these keys during its installation process?

-smackbadger
Pages: [1]   Go Up