INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 9 Crashes when installing license  (Read 1122 times)

Nuje

• nothing more to say...
MC 9 Crashes when installing license
« on: January 27, 2003, 06:36:30 pm »

I installed MC9 on my desktop and Thinkpad, and then had a major catastrophe which resulted in re-formatting the hard drive on both (don't ask!).  

When I re-installed MC9, the mjr file worked OK on the desktop, but every time I try with on the Thinkpad, MC locks up and I eventually have to "END" it.

Any help?  

I already used up one of my "restores" to get the desktop working; do I need to burn another on the Thinkpad?

Thanks,
Mike

Media Jukebox  9.0.103 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 150 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 91 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Vivarin

• Recent member
Re: MC 9 Crashes when installing license
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 11:40:59 pm »

Mine does the same thing, 6 days left on trial and everytime I try to import the key it hangs MC9.  I used the web page to send the code to me, says I have 10 restores left.

I did have MJ7 and MJ8, but I uninstalled it and installed MC9.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled MC9 104 twice with same problem.  I'm hesitant to use the Internet restore for fear of burning my restores and it still not working.

If the key should work and it doesn't, why should the Internet restore be any better.  In about 6 days I'm going to be a little more upset about it - since I've paid for both MJ7 and now MC9.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 04:53:02 am »

Mike:
Your license worked ok on my machine. Do you have admin privilege on the laptop when you install the license? Please email me and I'll send you a diagnostic program that may help locate the problem.
I cleared your restore counter.

Vivarin:
Could you email me also? Then I can try your license on my machine.

Thanks,
John T.
johnt @ jriver.com
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 07:27:49 am »

The "lock-up" problem should be fixed with the next build. Please let us know if it isn't.
The next build will also have an informative error message if you try to install the license without admin or "power user" privilege.

- John T.

Nuje

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 08:41:45 pm »

Mine got working fine again just with the install over the internet.  I didn't want to burn another "restore", but I did to get it going again; and then I saw that JohnT. had refunded my restore.

Thanks a lot.

PS.  Love MC9 - it's what I've been looking for ever since I saw iTunes and my friend's iPod.  My iPod and I couldn't be happier (well, maybe if things were a bit more stable, but I'm willing to wait and play  ;D

Vivarin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 09:34:52 pm »

I emailed the key, plus after 105 I'm getting an error message finally.  The error message says "invalid key", so I burned an Internet restore.

The new downloaded key worked, but is named differently from the original one I received.  It's named "Media Center9" while the key I had was named "Media Jukebox9".

My old MJ7 key didn't work if I renamed it, would my original MC9 key have worked if I had simply renamed it to "Media Center9"?  If so, I just wasted a restore.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 04:23:17 am »

Vivarin:

no it would not have worked with just a rename.

j

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 05:24:51 am »

I emailed the key, plus after 105 I'm getting an error message finally.  The error message says "invalid key", so I burned an Internet restore.

The new downloaded key worked, but is named differently from the original one I received.  It's named "Media Center9" while the key I had was named "Media Jukebox9".

My old MJ7 key didn't work if I renamed it, would my original MC9 key have worked if I had simply renamed it to "Media Center9"?  If so, I just wasted a restore.

The fix I made yesterday got rid of the "lock-up" problem, but it caused it to display a numerical error message for you instead of the correct one, which is:

"License file is past expiration date."

The "mjr" file you emailed to me was past it's 14 day expiration date and that is why it wasn't working for you.

I've cleared your restore counter to zero.

Sorry for the hassles.

- John T.
J. river, Inc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up