INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you also hate toggling list style?  (Read 1843 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Do you also hate toggling list style?
« on: January 27, 2003, 08:35:14 am »

PROBLEM:
You want different kind of list styles at different views. I find myself toggling all the time.  :P

BACKGROUND:
I have previously proposed that MC remembers the list style for a specific view. (i.e. playlist view or a specific point in view scheme hierarchy).

Here is another solution that is probably very easy to implement: Please DO  ::)

SOLUTION:
add a keyword, that defines the list style view to the view scheme. This idea is very similar to sort keyword and probably can be implemented in the same framwork.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Do you also hate toggling list style?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 09:20:25 am »

>> I find myself toggling all the time.
not me i just leave it in "list"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Autoelph

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 10:52:36 am »

Well, hate's a strong word, but yes, I like the idea of list styles, definitely.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 11:10:32 am »

>> I find myself toggling all the time.
not me i just leave it in "list"

KingSparta,

Aren't you using Thumbnail view at all  ?

phelt

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 02:35:01 pm »

I don't ever use thumbnail view, but I think that per-view (scheme, playlist, whatever) settings in MC would be valuable. It's one of the things I've gotten used to with Windows Explorer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 02:40:38 pm »

We will improve this before release.  What I would like to see, at a minimum, is a default view for digital images, another for music, another for video, and another for "mixed".

The suggestion Tolga made for using keywords is interesting.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 02:44:18 pm »

KingSparta,

Aren't you using Thumbnail view at all  ?

No I can read (sort of)

See Jane run, run Jane run

Page 2

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 03:47:35 pm »

I'd like to see a drop down list menu item similar to the one for: Favourites that we can add 'Display Setup's' to.

A Display setup would consist of profiles of:
  • Displayed columns
  • Column orders
  • Sort Order

It would then allow us to EASILY change between which one we wanted to use depending on whether we were using images, audio, video etc. Not only this, but by allowing us to choose which instead of having them fixed to specific media types, it would allow us to change the settings depending on what task we were doing - tagging our files, browsing to play, trying to find poor quality songs etc :)

Allowing us to attach these profiles to view scemes, playlists etc. would definitely REALLY make it a totally powerful amazing feature.

Autoelph

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 06:13:13 pm »

it would allow us to change the settings depending on what task we were doing - tagging our files, browsing to play, trying to find poor quality songs etc

Yes, Nila, yes yes yes....you go!

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2003, 09:33:40 am »

Is the problem that no one want to commit to naming these schemes? It is obvious that it is technically possible to create a pull-down as opposed to a toggle and from an interface design standpoint, a toggle is most appropriate when there are only two states, especially when there is no indication of what state you are in other than the refreshing of potentially thousands of records.

Marty3d

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2003, 10:44:13 am »

I've suggested it before, but ok, I'll do it again:

A header like in Outlook could be appropriate in the main pane stating

*which list you're viewing (playlist x, view scheme y or playing now)
and
* how (list, song or album)

But then again, that's an interface issue...and we don't wanna go there again ;)

Autoelph

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2003, 10:53:04 am »

A dual function pull down/toggle button (much like the back and foward buttons on IE) would be an excellent addition, but the idea of creating view schemes to go along with list schemes is pure genius, and for the reasons that Nila stated is additional genius. If MC wants to be your tagging, DB, Player, burner yadda yadda yadda, then this is an integral concept to that goal.

I spend time adding things to Playing Now, go back to my tagging duties, retrieving album art...and each time I have to change the view scheme...and I've done this A LOT! And with my size DB, it's tedious, especially when I have to toggle through the "single song album art" view. Now I like the idea of that particular view existing, say, when I have a mix going and playing now can show you each art file in your list, but a better idea for that function would be similar to how AV2 works, with a thumbnail followed by detailed text of each file (which also offers a very quick view of files that need art). Other than that, I don't really see much use for the "single song album art" view, it's just too space consuming and confusing.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2003, 11:47:42 am »

Definitely agree w/ Nilas idea.  Flexibility is the key here but defnitely at least separate views for images  video /audio.  we should defnitely not see width / height for audio or bitrate for images...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2003, 11:50:32 am »

We intend to make changes in this area before MC is released.

Stay tuned.

nila

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2003, 12:30:11 pm »

Cool Cool :)
Glad to hear it Jim
Obviously it's going to be a whole new area to add from scratch and so how about maybe starting a thread just to see how exactly people would best like it implemented or with what features just so that when you do implement it you do the way that the majority would like.

That way your making as many customers as possible happy.

I know I'd personally like to be able to do view schemes that can be then added to say a playlist by using:
viewmode='view scheme name'
but this is just me, other people might now like this and could want other things which is why I think if you plan to implement it then maybe a thread dedicated to it would give you guys a great idea of what everyone wanted before you even start doing a single line of code thereby saving you the effort of having to change anything afterwards.

Autoelph

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2003, 01:06:03 pm »

Thanks Jim,

Staying tuned!  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up