INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPOD "do not disconnect"  (Read 1938 times)

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
iPOD "do not disconnect"
« on: January 20, 2003, 11:04:48 am »

MC 9
iPOD plugin 3.0.45
firmware 1.2.1

Followed all the instructions on http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/.

Everything seemed to go smoothly except I accidentally removed the iPOD software instead of the MMJB plugin, so I had to reinstall everything with the iPOD CD & remove again.

Got MMJB & the MMJB plugin removed without difficulty.  I then "Restored" my iPOD as instructed and everything seems to be deleted with the 1.2.1 firmware installed.

The iPOD Updater recognized my iPOD before the restore, and now it does not.  Since "Restore", when I plug in my iPOD it just continually says "Do not disconnect" on the LCD.  I have the most current plugins & firmware.

I tried using the Safely Remove Hardware, launching iPOD updater & then plugging the iPOD back in -- still same thing.  I even tried holding the previous & next buttons down for at least 7sec to "force firewire" mode -- no dice!  Just keeps flashing "Do not disconnect".  Even if I "Safely Remove Hardware" and try to "force firewire" with the regular iPOD menus showing, it does nothing.  What has happened?

MC9 shows the iPOD under handhelds.  I tried right-clicking on the icon while the iPOD was flashing "Do not disconnect".  A couple of times it caused the Media Core to crash immediately (after you could hear the iPOD hard drive spin).  The third time MC9 said something to the effect of my handheld may not be formatted for MC & when I tried to sync Media Core crashed.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iPOD "do not disconnect"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 11:15:15 am »

The version of 9.0 and the plug-in version need to be from the same set.  Please see the iPod thread here (on the MC9 board).  You may have an older build of 9.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 04:02:41 pm »

hlamar:

"Do Not Disconnect" is exactly what is supposed to be flashing on your iPod when it's connected to your PC.  It's a GOOD thing.  It means that your iPod is being recognized by your Computer.  Do you see a new drive letter in My Computer for you iPod?  You should.  Try what Steve recommended and you should be all set.  If not, post back.

Adam

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 10:29:40 am »

Okay, I finally got the time to upgrade my MC to version 9.0.103 & the new 3.0.47 iPOD plugin.  Hurray!  I can now sync my music to my iPOD.  Only issue remaining is that the iPOD now just constantly flashes "Do Not Disconnect".  Even after sync is complete, it still flashes this -- I have to use the Win XP Safely Remove Hardware applet.  Shouldn't the iPOD say "Okay to Disconnect" after sync (like with MMJB)?  I hate MMJB, so if not, I can live with this method.  Thanks for your help!

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 12:14:06 pm »

hlamar,

To do this I will have to implement some kind of auto disconnect feature. This is on the list of things to add.

Steve

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 02:08:26 pm »

Aye, I agree...  It's okay, Hlamar, you're working just fine.

The iPod is a removable drive, and will stay "mounted" until you (or something else) "unmounts" it.  When it's saying "Do Not Disconnect" it means, "This iPod has been mounted by Windows.  Unmount it before you physically unplug it."

Now, normally, you have to use the "Safely remove hardware" icon to unmount it.  That's what everyone in the world does.  If Steve were to build some kind of unmount function into the plugin, it'd be cool, but then it'd just be MC9 unmounting it, rather than you.

You are okay dude, don't sweat that message.  It's normal.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 05:17:01 pm »

if mc unmounted the ipod, it should be optional. if it unmounted the ipod automatically you would have to unplug then plug in again to reupload something.
---------
Pages: [1]   Go Up