INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Date Picture Taken" info in Picture Tag  (Read 1887 times)

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
"Date Picture Taken" info in Picture Tag
« on: January 19, 2003, 06:34:26 pm »

Windows XP's detail's view will let you sort pictures by the "date picture taken" this is different from date file created and date modified.  Unfortunately "date picture taken" is not presently included in the tags of Media Center.  

This is a necessary feature for any image organizing software.  Hopefully Microsoft hasn't made it proprietary or something stupid like that.

JimH, please include this in the final version of Media Center.

Also I think it would be nice to have the option of making the "Fill track numbers from list order" command start with zero being "000" instead of "00" this way we can number things up to 999, which comes in handy with pictures.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: "Date Picture Taken" info in Picture Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 08:24:56 pm »

"Date picture taken" is retrieved from the EXIF data that is supplied by the camera.  That data is normally stored in the image file, and can be displayed when using programs such as ACDSee.

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 06:03:35 am »

well I got ACDSee but I still can't sort by the date the picture was taken.  Do you have any ideas.

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 08:30:02 am »

I asked about this a while ago. Dunno what EXIF info is but I got the same info in XP from an APS film I had developed to CD. I dont think its proprietary. I got the impression that it is not straightforward for MC because tagging standards for images are not as universal as they are for audio files. Hopefully in the final release, though.

FWIW I used MC to rename and add tags to my pictures without destroying date picture taken in XP.

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 11:22:02 am »

Actually, there are tagging standards for images.  Most image cataloging programs don't support them, however.

If you have a digital camera, most likely the software that came with it will allow you to view the EXIF tag and also possibly add IPTC tags.  The EXIF tag your camera writes notes the date, shutter speed, and other technical info for each pic.  IPTC tag allows you to add captions, headlines, keywords and lots of other info to individual pics.

Of course, for this info to be useful you need a program that is able to read and perform searches. Two programs that I've come across that aren't too bad are Image Walker (http://www.imagewalker.com/) and  PhotoThumb (http://www.photothumb.com/). Be aware, that the current version of ImageWalker will destroy the EXIF info if you use it to write IPTC info. Photoshop/Photoshop Elements will write IPTC info, I think without destroying EXIF. The free image viewer IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/) will view and write EXIF, IPTC, as well as JPEG Comments. Also, many image editing programs will destroy EXIF/IPTC when you crop the images.

A quick Google search on the terms IPTC and EXIF will turn up even more info.

Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 11:56:43 am »

Or you can wait until MC adds EXIF support.

The reason we didn't chose a "standard" is that

a) there isn't anything well established for digital images

and b) what we could find was inadequate.

FrankL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 04:04:31 pm »

thanks for considering this Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up