INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some MC Questions (Bugs?)  (Read 1533 times)

Jim_Hus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Some MC Questions (Bugs?)
« on: January 19, 2003, 03:04:53 am »

Not positive if some of these are bugs or user ignorance...

Filename---> Properties

I would swear this worked fantastically in version 8. My filenames are saved as "Artist - Title.mp3", and I remember being very impressed that it handled hyphenated Artist names.

I am no longer impressed with MC9 - it simply takes the 1st hyphen and assumes it has to be the separator. This means any artist with a Hyphen results in ruined Properties.

Is there some new/deeper option somewhere? Some way to at least have MC NOT change the properties if it's ambiguous? I am not sure how it used to function (maybe checked for a space before/after the hyphen... checked Artist/Title name and checked against possible split locations... something magic) but it was exceptional before.

This has to simply be my ignorance -- but I see no way to manually specify the image file for an entry.

If I refer to a song via a relative path in a playlist (..\Joe - Song.mp3) - it will appear twice in the library. Once as f:\mp3\Joe - Song.mp3 and once as f:\Mp3\Playlists\..\Joe - Song.mp3 Can we get the relative path from concatenating the playlist location + specified path into a single absolute path? Is there even a reason to include entries found inside a playlist (aren't they already in the library)?

Is there some way to export a single playlist? To a location I desire?

The properties window is clearly undergoing major changes. One frustration I've had is it loses the setting of whether it's supposed to be a separate window or an inline window. Sometimes it loses this setting between two attempted song edits (never exiting MC).

Are LRC or even TXT files going to be supported for lyrics? When I asked about this in June I was told Version 9. I know all things targeted for a version can't go in - but even LRC without Timestamp support would be a huge help.

Baring that - could we get the Lyrics field put into the DB? At least we could get a backup of sorts until LRC are supported.

YDDB: I know it's fresh from development, but is there no way to select which (or none) of the possible matches to actually use (only used it for track lookups so far)? Or which fields to use/replace? Ultimately I hope you can merge AlbumImages/AlbumInfo/SongInfo and get something close to WMP 9's "Find Album." It's by far the best implementation of Album/Song/Image lookup I've seen.

Finally - my userid here was JimHus. It's no longer a valid userid (can't log in nor can I request password - says userid is unknown). Yet if I try and create the ID it says it's in use. Jim_Hus is fine --- but something is screwy here.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some MC Questions (Bugs?)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 03:29:58 am »

I am no longer impressed with MC9

Well, it is still in beta, so there will be bugs and features that aren't working or working properly.

I see no way to manually specify the image file for an entry.

Right-click on the file(s), choose Properties, at the top left of the Properties window are two arrows next to the words File Properties, click one of the arrows until you get to Image, click on the Tools button at the bottom of the window and choose Add.

Is there some way to export a single playlist?

There is an option, File/Export Playlist (as opposed to Playlists), but it seems to be greyed out.  Possibly a bug or not-working feature.

That's all I know.   ::)

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 03:44:31 am »

I use

MC 9.0.98

[ARTIST] - [ALBUM] - [TRACK #] - [NAME]
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jim_Hus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 04:52:41 am »

rocketsauce:

I am no longer impressed with MC9

Ya, it was too early/late for me to post. I meant I am no longer impressed by it's capability to convert between Filename->Properties when Hyphens are involved.

Right-click on the file(s), choose Properties...

Thanks.

Not trying to complain when a question was answered, but this does sort of indicate the type of change in MC9 that feels awkward compared to version 8. Couldn't the Image menu be attached on the Image display line ala the Lyrics edit Button? Or change the line from ReadOnly to an editable field. Maybe the separate Image page is needed for the various other Tools, but an editable field at a minimum would be a lot more friendly.

The reason I bought MC was not because of it's features - I virtually never use any facet not included in the "free" version of Ver8. It was to support a dev team that went past the Norm when it came to making the interface usable. Version 8's interface impressed me over and over with the thought and logic put into it's design. Any developer who used it, even if they'd have done it a different way, could not help but notice this... and how much time went into making it this way simply boggles.

I hope this is the ultimate target for MC9. I'm not sure who is responsible for what I saw in version 8, but I hope it's a style/goal of those working on 9. *shrug*

KingSparta:

I use

MC 9.0.98

And a hyphenated Artist name correctly converts from filename to Properties?

Since I have only the one hyphen part of the "format" I can't say for sure, but it appeared to always use the 1st hyphen it saw as a "format" hyphen. I would have guessed it would scramble yours as well.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 04:58:12 am »

right click on file

Alt-Enter also gets you there.  You can then leave the property window open as you browse through your files.

You can also drag images from Windows Explorer into that properties window.  Copy from and IE page and paste works.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 05:14:07 am »

>> I would have guessed it would scramble
>> yours as well.
mine works fine
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jim_Hus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 07:48:40 am »

Sparta:

It doesn't with my version (Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.88). I imported 2 files named:

Joe - Album - 9 - Song.mp3
Joe-Bob - Album - 9 - Song.mp3

and tried to use "Fill Properties from filename"

Artist was Joe in both cases. All other fields for Joe-Bobs song were "off" by one.

I am fairly sure I was able to do this in version 8 using Artists like "Olivia Newton-John or "Bachman-Turner Overdrive" and it would not scramble "John"/"Turner Overdrive" into the other fields. *shrug* Maybe I am remembering wrong.

JimH:

AltEnter works fine as a RClick replacement - but you then still have to navigate to the proper page in the properties to be able to click a button to give you the Image menu.

Just not sure why it isn't available right where the Image path is specified on the Main window, nor why it's a ReadOnly field.

I know none of these are critical issues and not the focus in development until after the large issues are addressed. I just hope, after the polish is put on, we can avoid having to:

1) RClick/AltEnter
2) Navigate thru multiple property window panes
3) To click a button
4) To get a menu
5) To bring up a dialog
6) To select/specify an image filename

Rather than just let us enter the name directly.

Hmmm --- that sounds a bit smart-assy. It was not my intent. I was just trying to point out it's a bit cumbersome.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 08:07:11 am »

I Did not know you were talking about get info from filename and after re-reading it still don't see where you said get info from file name.

I thought you were talking about a rename mask, and that works fine for me.

so I am not quite sure what option your talilking about now

what mask are you using when you use "Fill Properties From FileName"?

One Stock One Is

[ARTIST]-[ALBUM]-[TRACK #]-[NAME]

What Would Happen If It Was

With A Space Added To Each Side Of "-"

It seems to me if there is no spaces in the mask MC will import anything with a dash in a dif field

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jim_Hus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 08:14:08 am »

I thought you were talking about a rename mask, and that works fine for me.

so I am not quite sure what option your talilking about now

RClick a file and pick "Tools" then "Fill properties from filename" - it's the inverse of using MC to rename the file based on properties.

The rename mask works fine for me as well.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2003, 08:15:15 am »

see update above
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jim_Hus

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2003, 08:22:34 am »

Bah!

That worked great once I added spaces around it.

It also appears to remember, even the modifiied " - ", format I put in.

So maybe I ran into this even on version 8 --- and I changed the mask myself.

Thanks!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2003, 08:26:41 am »

>> So maybe I ran into this even on version 8
Really I think they changed the masks in MC9

I think it should have been with the spaces.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up