INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Universal Playlist Proposal...  (Read 861 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Universal Playlist Proposal...
« on: January 13, 2003, 09:03:20 am »

Is this something that JRiver should be looking at for V9?

A universal Playlist proposal...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,108601,tk,wb011303x,00.asp
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Universal Playlist Proposal...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 09:29:58 am »

Thanks, Doc.  It looks interesting.

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 10:27:46 am »

Honestly, rather than comply with a Universal Proposal that's not completely there yet, we can pursue another path to making a standard.  
Standards are either agreed upon by manufacturers, or determined by popularity with consumers.  Right now, the standard for playlists is "m3u", the stock mp3 playlist.  One of the only barriers I see that would prevent smartlists from becoming more ubiquitous is that they cannot be exported as a stand alone file at this time.  This would allow them to be freed from the application, to be burnt to data cd's, swapped w/ mp3 albums, and used to simplify the process for many.

Example- my wife doesn't want to muck around with our home PC, but likes to listen to a mix of music that is "jen approved".  I created a smartlist that grabs any song with "jen" in the comment field, and plays them randomly.  That list is constantly growing, and she enjoys that it is like turning on her own radio station.  What she doesn't like is that she has to search for it- open up MJ, open up the playlists tree, left click Jen Smartlist once, wait for it to populate, and then either press play or double left click.  The exporting of smartlists would really help to put MJ/MC over the top in terms of popularity with a feature like this- IMO, of course.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 10:57:51 am »

Hi McLaugh;

Sounds like what would really be neat, in your case, would be
if MC9 allowed you to put a link on your desktop pointing directly to Jen's Music Playlist which would open MC in Jen's Playlist & start playing where she last left off.

I don't know if MC currently allows us to do that or not.  Maybe someone else knows if that is possible.

We can dream, right?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »

You can do this.  Go to File->Export all playlists.  All playlists including smartlists are exported to Data/Playlists.  Either copy the one you want to your desktop or make a shortcut.  Bobs your uncle, Fannys your Aunt...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up